[职场礼节美语之二十九]同事家中有人去世怎么办(在线收听) |
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他在走廊上远远地看到美国同事Amy,连忙赶了过去。 (Office ambience)
C:Amy, 我有点儿急事想请教你。
A:OK, What is it?
C:跟我一个办公室的Todd, 他妈妈在美国去世了。
A:I don't know Todd, but I am sorry to hear that.
C:他要回美国奔丧。我想为他做点儿什么,但又不知道怎样做才符合西方的礼节,所以今天早上我一直在躲着他。
A:That's a perfectly natural response. May I suggest a few things?
C:太好了,你快告诉我。
A:First of all, don't avoid him. Make a point of going to him immediately and offering your condolences.
C:什么是condolences?
A:Condolences就是表示同情、慰问。
C:我唯一能想到的就是 "I'm sorry to hear about your loss." 就这么一句好像不太够吧?
A:Sometimes that's all you can say. If you try to say more, it may be the wrong thing.
C:是呀,我也是怕说多了反而坏事。
A:If you can, follow your statement of condolence with an offer to help.
C:帮忙, 可我能帮什么忙呢?
A:Think of what he may need that you can do. You might offer to take him to the airport.
C:开车送他去机场确实是个好主意,可惜我没车。
A:What about work issues? Are there things you can help him with while he is away?
C:对呀,我们是一个组的,他请假,我可以承担一部分他的工作。我这就去跟他说。谢谢你,Amy.
******
MC:午饭时陈豪又看见了Amy.
A:Chen Hao, How did things go with Todd?
C:你说得没错。我说可以承担他的工作,Todd显得如释重负。另外,我还想到了其它可以出力的地方。
A:What was that?
C:Todd是我的邻居,他养了一只猫,叫Fluffy. 我告诉他说,他离开这段时间,我可以照顾Fluffy, 他听了以后特别高兴。
A:It is important to be specific at times like these. So often people simply say, "Let me know if there is anything I can do to help."
C:Amy, 你觉得我还需要送花和卡片吗?
A:You can, but that's not necessary since you are expressing your sympathy in a concrete way.
C:Todd还让我帮他取信。我有他公寓的钥匙。他回来之前,我还可以帮他买点儿新鲜蔬菜和水果。
A:You see how easy it is to think of acts of service for people who are grieving?
C:是啊,我们总是不好意思求别人办事,要是能主动提出来,那是再好不过的了。
A:That's right. Too often when people don't know what to do at a time of loss, they end up not doing anything.
C:幸亏有你,Amy. |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/zcljyy/156933.html |