英语小达人 273 Whiskey Does You Good(在线收听

   Whiskey Does You Good

  威士忌对你有好处
  A professor of chemistry wanted to teach his class a lesson about the evils of alcohol, so he produced an experiment that involved a glass of water, a glass of whiskey and two worms.
  化学老师要给班里的同学们讲解酒的坏处,他用一杯水、一杯威士忌和两只蠕虫做了一个实验。
  "Now, class, observe closely the worms," said the professor putting a worm first into the water. The worm in the water writhed about, happy as a worm in water could be.
  “同学们,注意观察这两只蠕虫,”老师说着将一只蠕虫放入水杯中。这只虫子如鱼得水般地在水中扭动着。
  The second worm, he put into the whiskey. It writhed painfully, and quickly sand to the bottom, dead as a doornail.
  老师又把第二只蠕虫放进了威士忌酒杯,它痛苦地扭动着,很快沉到了杯底,死了。
  "Now, what lesson can we derive from this experiment?" the professor asked.
  “同学们,你们能从这个实验中得出什么结论呢?”老师问道。
  Little Johnny, who naturally sits in back, volunteered, "Drink whiskey and you won't get worms!"
  从来都是坐在教室后排的小约翰尼主动答道:“喝威士忌就不会长寄生虫!”
  重点讲解:
  1. do sb. good
  对…有好处(或有帮助);
  eg. The outing will do me good.
  这次远足对我会有所助益。
  eg. It's probably done you good to get away for a few hours.
  离开几小时或许对你有好处。
  eg. You don't do anybody any good by getting yourself arrested.
  你要是被抓了对谁都没有好处。
  2. derive from
  获得;取得;得到;
  eg. Mr Ying is one of those happy people who derive pleasure from helping others.
  英先生属于那种助人为乐的快活人。
  eg. Mary has derived a lot of benefit from her tuition.
  玛丽从她的教学中得到很大收益。
  eg. We can derive great pleasure from our studies.
  我们可以从读书研究中获得极大的乐趣。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/246704.html