英语小达人 282 Too Many Debts(在线收听

   Too Many Debts

  太多债务
  John was aggravated about his many debts.
  约翰被众多债务缠得焦头烂额。
  "Henry," he confided to his best friend. "I can't sleep anymore because I am so worried about finances."
  “亨利,”他对自己最好的朋友倾诉说,“我为自己的财务状况焦虑得睡不着觉了。”
  "Sorry, buddy," answered Henry, "but I can't help you in that department. You already owe me $800."
  “很抱歉,老伙计,”亨利答道,“在这个问题上我帮不上忙了,你还欠我800块钱呢。”
  "I wasn't going to ask you again. Don't worry."
  “我不是又来找你借钱的,别担心。”
  "I can't understand why you are in this situation. You have a good, steady job."
  “我真不明白你怎么会把自己搞成这样。你的工作很不错,又稳定。”
  "I know, but I owe money to the food market, the department stores, the liquor store, the landlady and you."
  “我也知道,不过我在食品店、商场、酒店都有欠账,我还欠房东太太,还有你的钱。”
  "Why don't you pay off one debt at a time?"
  “你为什么不一次付清一笔债务呢?”
  "I would if I could, but if I don't have some money by tomorrow--I'll really be in a big jam."
  “我能的话一定会的,不过明天我要是没有点儿钱的话,我可就要有大麻烦了。”
  "You owe the government back taxes?"
  “你欠政府税款吗?”
  "No, I don't have enough money to bet on the horse races tomorrow."
  “不是的,是明天我没有足够的钱赌马了。”
  重点讲解:
  1. pay off
  偿清,还清(债务);
  eg. It would take him the rest of his life to pay off that loan.
  他得用余生来还清那笔贷款。
  eg. The man was pressed to pay off his debt.
  那人被逼还债。
  2. be in a jam
  陷入困境;
  eg. They were in a real jam, Bob thought glumly.
  他们确实遇上麻烦了,鲍勃闷闷不乐地想。
  eg. We must help Ernest because he is in a jam.
  我们得帮助厄内斯特,因为他陷入了困境。
  3. bet on
  打赌;下注;
  eg. Jockeys are forbidden to bet on the outcome of races.
  职业赛马骑师禁止对赛马结果下注。
  eg. I bet ?10 on a horse called Premonition.
  我在一匹名叫“预兆”的赛马上下了10英镑的赌注。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/246743.html