Often men my age, President Clinton, by the way, when I met him said--Men my age, mention that character as their favorite of all the women I've played. And I have my own secret understanding of why that is and it confirms every decision I made in high school. This is not to denigrate that girl, by the way, or the men who are drawn to her in anyway because she's still part of me and I'm part of her. She wasn't acting but she was just behaving in a way that cowed girls, submissive girls, beaten up girls with very few ways out have behaved forever and still do in many worlds.
很多年纪跟我差不多的男人,包括前总统克林顿,我遇到他的时候,他也曾经跟我说,琳达这个角色是我演过的女人当中,他们最喜欢的一个。在我心里,我非常了解背后的秘密。这也证明我高中时候的决定是正确的。我想说,这并不是贬低那个女孩儿或者喜欢她的男性,因为她仍是我的一部分,我也是她的一部分。她的这种样子并不仅仅是表演出来的,事实上她只是那种脆弱顺从的女孩儿,受到命运的捉弄,没有别的出路,只有一直这么顺从下去,在现代社会,这样顺从而弱势的女孩依然存在。
Now in a measure of how much the world has changed. The character most men mention as their favorite, is Miranda Priestly, the beleaguered totalitarian at the head of Runway magazine in Devil Wears Prada. To my mind, this represents such an optimistic shift. They related to Miranda. They wanted to date Linda. They feel sorry for Linda. But they feel like Miranda. They can relate to her issues: the high standards she sets for herself and others. The thanklessness of the leadership position, the "Nobody Understans Me" thing, the loneliness. They stand outside one character, and they pity her. And they kind of fall in love with her, but they look through the eyes of this other character.
但是现如今世界已经改变了,今天,大部分男人都说,他们最喜欢我演的角色是《穿着普拉达的女魔头》里面那个时尚杂志《天桥云裳》的总编辑,饱受批评的极端主义者米兰达。在我看来,这象征着想当乐观的转变。他们想与米兰达在一起,他们想要和琳达出去约会,并替她感到婉惜。但他们还是喜欢米兰达。因为他们可以在她身上找到自己的影子:她为自己和其他人设下了太高的标准,身处领导高位却不知感恩,纠葛于“无人懂我”的观念中,同时还伴有孤独感。他们如果站在角色之外,就会既可怜她又爱她,但他们会这样想,是因为他们理解这个角色。
重点讲解:
1. beaten up
破旧的,境况差的;
eg. Her sandals were old and somewhat beaten-up, but very comfortable.
她的凉鞋旧了,多少还有点破,但是穿起来很舒服。
eg. The most exciting summer of my life was spent in a beaten-up Chevrolet Impala.
我生命中最激动人心的夏天是在一辆破旧的雪佛兰黑斑羚汽车上度过的。
2. a measure of
(情形严重或发展到了一定程度的)体现,表现,标志;
eg. It is a measure of their plight that few of them have anywhere to go to.
他们几乎全都无处可归,看得出他们是陷入了困境。
eg. That is a measure of how bad things have become at the bank.
那简直就是银行里糟糕局面的写照。
3. on my mind
依我看;我的意见是;
eg. There are scenes in this play which to my mind are incredibly violent.
这出戏里有些场面在我看来过于暴力。
eg. To my mind, they will attend the meeting.
我认为他们会参加会议的。
4. be/feel sorry for
(为别人的不幸或不快)感到难过的,表示同情的;
eg. I felt sorry for him and his colleagues — it must have been so frustrating for them.
我为他和他的同事们感到难过——这件事一定让他们感到非常沮丧。
eg. I am very sorry for the family.
我十分同情这家人。
5. relate to
产生共鸣;认同;
eg. He is unable to relate to other people.
他无法理解他人的想法。
eg. I think it is important for children to have brothers and sisters they can relate to.
我认为对孩子们来讲有可以相互理解沟通的兄弟姐妹很重要。
6. through one's eyes/through the eyes of sb.
以…的视角;
eg. She tried to see things through his eyes.
她尽力从他的视角看问题。
eg. The story is told through the eyes of Inspector Simon Potter.
这个故事是从西蒙·波特巡官的视角讲述的。
家庭情况
梅丽尔和卡扎尔在一起生活了3年直到卡扎尔不幸离世。后来,在1978年9月30日,她和雕塑家唐·狄墨结婚。他们有4个孩子,Henry Wolfe Gummer (b. 1979), Mamie Gummer (b. 1983), Grace Gummer (b. 1986), and Louisa Jacobson Gummer (b. 1991). 其中 Mamie 和 Grace 是演员, Henry 是音乐家。 |