生活大爆炸第二季第五集_1:The Euclid Alternative(在线收听

   -Sheldon:Good morning, Leonard.

  早上好Leonard。
  Yeah. We're gonna have to stop by pottery barn on the way to work. I bought these star wars sheets, but they turned out to be much too stimulating to be compatible with a good night's sleep.
  pottery:陶器 barn:仓库 sheet:床单 stimulating:刺激的 be compatible with:适合
  我们开车去上班的路上要在陶瓷大库房[家居专卖店]停一下,我在那里买了星战床单但躺在这上面实在是太刺激了,我根本不能安心睡觉。
  I don't like the way Darth Vader stares at me.
  stares at:盯着,凝视
  Darth Vader盯着我看使我很不爽。
  -Leonard:I'm not going to work.
  我不去上班了。
  -Sheldon:Oh, just because your career's been stagnant for a few years, that's no reason to give up.
  career:事业 stagnant:不发展的,不景气的 give up:放弃
  就算你的研究生涯这几年里毫无建树,那也没必要放弃啊。
  -Leonard:Sheldon, I was up all night using the new free-electron laser for X-ray diffraction experiment.
  free-electron:自由电子 laser:激光 X-ray:X光 diffraction:衍射
  Sheldon我整晚都没睡,我在用自由电子激光束做X射线散射实验。
  -Sheldon:Did the laser accidentally burn out your retinas?
  accidentally:以外地 burn out:烧坏 retina:视网膜
  是不是激光束碰巧把你视网膜烤焦了。
  -Leonard:No.
  没。
  -Sheldon:Then you can drive. Let's go.
  那你就能开车了,快走。
  -Leonard:Didn't I tell you I'd be working nights and that you'd have to make other arrangements?
  arrangement:解决办法
  我不是告诉你了么,我现在是晚上工作,你要另外想办法了。
  -Sheldon:You did.
  是啊。
  -Leonard:And?
  所以?
  -Sheldon:I didn't. Let's go.
  我没办法。走吧。
  -Leonard:Good night, Sheldon.
  晚安Sheldon。
  -Sheldon:But how am I going to get to work?
  那我怎么去上班啊?
  -Leonard:Take the bus.
  乘公交车。
  -Sheldon:I can't take the bus anymore.
  我再也不能乘公交车了。
  They don't have seat belts, and they won't let you latch yourself to the seat with bungee cords.
  seat belt:安全带 latch:闩上 bungee:弹簧 cord:绳子
  车上没安全带,而且他们不让我用弹簧绳子把自己拴在座椅上。
  -Leonard:You tried to latch yourself to the seat with bungee cords?
  你想用弹簧绳子把自己捆在座椅上。
  -Sheldon:I didn't try. I succeeded. But for some reason, it alarmed the other passengers and I was asked to de-bus.
  alarm:惊恐 passenger:乘客 de-bus:下车
  我不是想,我已经做到了。但不知为什么其他乘客对此很惊慌,他们让我滚下车。
  -Leonard:Oh, you're a big boy. You'll figure it out.
  figure it out:解决
  傻孩子你会自己想出办法的。
  -Sheldon:Don't talk to me like I'm a child. Now, take me to return my star wars sheets!
  别把我当孩子,你现在立刻带我去退掉星战床单。
  -Sheldon:Penny? Penny? Penny?
  -Penny:Sheldon. What is it?
  Sheldon你搞什么?
  -Sheldon:Leonard's asleep.
  Leonard睡着了。
  -Penny:Thanks for the update.
  update:提供最新信息
  谢谢你特意告知。
  -Sheldon:No. Wait. You have to drive me to work.
  别,等等。你一定要开车送我去上班。
  -Penny:Yeah, I really don't think I do.
  我不觉得我必须得这么做。
  -Sheldon:But I don't drive, and I can't take the bus.
  但我不会开车,我也不想坐公交车。
  -Penny:Honey, you'll be fine as long as you don't do that bungee cord thing, okay?
  as long as:只要
  只要你不用那弹簧绳,坐公交肯定没问题的。
  -Sheldon:Penny. Didn't you recently state that you and I are friends?
  state:声称
  Penny你不是声称我们是朋友吗?
  -Penny:Yes, Sheldon. We are friends.
  是的Sheldon我们是朋友。
  -Sheldon:Then I hereby invoke what I'm given to understand is an integral part of the implied covenant of friendship. The favor.
  hereby:特此 invoke:援引 integral part:主要部分 implied:含蓄的 covenant:协议契约
  所以说我在这儿是引用我们隐含的友谊契约书中的一个重要部分。帮助。
  -Penny:Oh, dear god.
  上帝啊。
  -Sheldon:I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was interrupting your morning prayers. When you're done, we'll go.
  realize:意识到 interrupt:打断 prayer:祈祷
  对不起,我不是故意来打扰你做早晨祷告。你做完了我们就出发。
  Thank you for driving me to work.
  谢谢你送我去上班。
  -Penny:You know this is my day off, Sheldon.
  day off:休假
  你知道我今天不用上班的Sheldon。
  -Sheldon:Oh, good. I'm not keeping you from anything.
  太好了,看来我没有耽误你什么事。
  Your "check engine" light is on.
  check:检查 engine:引擎
  你的"检查引擎"灯亮着。
  Typically that's an indicator to, you know, check your engine.
  indicator:(仪器上显示温度、压力、耗油量等的)指针, 指示器, 记录器
  一般来说,这是提醒你去检查引擎。
  -Penny:It's fine. It's been on for, like, a month.
  没什么事,这灯亮了差不多一个月了。
  -Sheldon:Well, actually, that would be all the more reason to... You know, check your engine.
  这样说来的话那你就有更多的理由去检查引擎了。
  -Penny:Sheldon, it's fine.
  Sheldon我的车没事。
  -Sheldon:If it were fine, the light wouldn't be on. That's why the manufacturer installed that light, to let you know it's not fine.
  manufacturer:制造商 install:安装
  如果没事的话那这灯就不会亮了,制造商装了这个灯就是为了提示你车有问题。
  -Penny:Maybe the light's broken.
  大概是这灯坏了。
  -Sheldon:Is there a "check the 'check engine light' light"?
  有没有检查"检查引擎灯"的灯。
  -Penny:What?
  怎么了?
  -Sheldon:Studies have shown that performing tasks such as eating, talking on a cell phone or drinking coffee while driving reduces one's reaction time by the same factor as an ounce of alcohol.
  performing:履行的 reduce:降低 reaction time:反应时间 factor:因素 ounce:盎司 alcohol:酒,酒精
  试验表明在开车的时候,某些行为诸如吃东西、打电话或者喝咖啡会降低人的反应速度,就跟喝了一盎司酒精一样。
  -Penny:Do you have any alcohol?
  你带酒了吗?
  -Sheldon:Of course not.
  当然没有。
  -Penny:Too bad.
  可惜了。
  -Sheldon:You're going up Euclid Avenue? Leonard takes Los Robles Avenue.
  Avenue:大街
  你走的是Euclid大道吗?Leonard走Los Robles大道。
  -Penny:Well, good for Leonard.
  随便他。
  -Sheldon:Euclid avenue is shorter as the crow flies, But it has speed bumps, which appreciably increase point-to-point drive time, making It the less efficient choice.
  as the crow flies:(习语)直线的,笔直的 speed bump:减速装置 appreciably:略微 increase:增加 point-to-point:点对点的 efficient:有效率的
  Euclid大道的直线距离的确更近,但是这里有减速坡,会极大地降低点到点的行驶速度,所以走这条路实际上更慢。
  But you have the conn. Of course, if you're not going to slow down for the speed bumps, I withdraw my previous objection.
  conn:指挥操舵 withdraw:收回 previous:先前的 objection:异议
  但是你是老大(星际迷航的经典台词),当然了如果你在过减速坡的时候不减速的话,那我就收回之前的意见。
  Here's a fun question. Do you know what the most common street name is?
  我有一个有趣的问题,你知道最常见的街道名字是什么吗?
  -Penny:No.
  不知道。
  -Sheldon:The answer's tricky. It's Second Street.
  tricky:狡猾的
  是个脑筋急转弯,答案是二街。
  You see, you'd think it would be first street, But in most towns, first street eventually gets renamed to something else. You know, like Main Street, Broad Street, Michigan Avenue.
  eventually:可能的 rename:重新命名
  你可能认为该是"一街",但大多数地方“一街”都用一些别的名字代替比如主路,远街,密歇根大道[为1893年哥伦比亚博览会修建]。
  See, Leonard and I often use our commute time to exercise our minds with brain-teasers like that. We also play games. Would you like to play one?
  commute:(上下班)两地之间坐车往返;往返的路程 brain-teaser:难题,谜
  Leonard和我在路上经常找一些像这样的脑筋急转弯来锻炼大脑,我们也玩游戏,想玩么?
  -Penny:No.
  不。
  -Sheldon:Oh, come on. It's fun. Ooh! Another bump.
  来吧,可好玩了。噢又一个减速坡。
  Okay. I'll say an element, and, and you say an element whose name starts with the last letter of the one I said, okay? I'll start.
  element(化学)元素 starts with:以…开始 letter:字母
  这样吧,我说一个元素名称你也说一个以我说的元素的尾字母开头。从我开始。
  -Sheldon:Helium. Now, you could say "mercury." That would give me a "y." Ooh. Very clever.   That's a tough one. So I go with "ytterbium," which gets you back to "m." So you go "molybdenum," and I say "magnesium." You say "manganese." I say "europium," And, then, you're left with "mendelevium," And... There are no more m's, because I believe that meitnerium should still be called ekairidium. So, congratulations. You win.
  Helium:氦   mercury:汞 tough:困难的 ytterbium:镱(元素) molybdenum:钼magnesium:镁 manganese:锰 europium:铕 mendelevium:钔(元素) meitnerium:钅麦(第109号元素)
  氦,你可以说汞[Mercury],你给我一个"y",非常聪明这个可不容易,镱[ytterbium],让你又回到了"m",你可以说钼[molybdenum],我说镁[magnesium],你可以说锰[manganese],我说铕[europium],现在你只剩下钔了[mendelevium],然后就没有以"m"开头的了,我相信"钅麦"[meitnerium]应该被叫做ekairidium[一种过渡元素],恭喜你你赢了。
  Do you wanna go again?
  wanna:(口语)= want to
  想再来一局么?
  -Penny:Why don't we just have a little quiet time now?
  我们就不能安静一会儿么?
  -Sheldon:All right. I'm sorry. I'm finding your reckless nonchalance regarding the check-engine light to be very troubling.
  reckless:轻率的 nonchalance:漠不关心 regarding:关于
  没问题.对不起我觉得你对于引擎检查提示灯的冷漠鲁莽非常糟糕。
  -Penny:Get out.
  下车。
  -Sheldon:Well, I’ve to tell you that while I do have a theoretical understanding of the workings of an internal combustion engine, I'm not sure I'm capable of performing diagnostics.
  theoretical:理论的 internal combustion engine:内燃机 be capable of:能够 perform:执行 diagnostics:诊断
  我不得不说关于内燃机引擎工作的原理我是有一定了解的,不过我不确定能不能看出毛病在哪。
  -Penny:I said, "get out."
  我说了“下车”。
  -Sheldon:Okay. I'll give it a shot.
  shot:试图,设法
  好吧,我就去试试好了。
  Oh, Leonard. There you are. I'm ready to go home.
  Leonard你在这儿呢,我准备好回家了。
  -Leonard:I just got here.
  我才刚到这。
  -Sheldon:Good. Perfect timing.
  真及时!
  -Leonard:Sheldon, I told you, I only have access to the free-electron laser at night. I can't drive you for the next few weeks.
  access to:有权使用 free-electron:自由电子
  Sheldon我告诉过你啦,我只有晚上使用自由电子激光器的权限,这几个星期我都不能开车送你了。
  -Sheldon:No, you said you couldn't drive me to work, this is from work.
  不对,你是说过你不能开车送我上班,但现在说的是下班。
  -Leonard:Howard, help me out here.
  Howard帮我说句话啊。
  -Howard:No, just for the fun of it, I'm gonna take his side.
  不,我要站在他那边这样有意思多了。
  -Sheldon:Now, How do you propose I get home?
  propose:建议
  那么你觉得我该怎么回家?
  -Leonard:How did you get here in the first place?
  in the first place:一开始
  你是怎么来的呢?
  -Sheldon:Penny. But I sense that's no longer an option.
  sense:意识到,觉得 no longer:不再 option:可选择的办法
  Penny但我觉得这个选项已经没可能了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shdbz/shdbz2/288240.html