公众人物毕业演讲第26期:比尔盖茨夫妇于斯坦福大学(7)(在线收听

   So they rigged up an extension cord that ran 200 feet

  人们只能临时拉了一根200英尺长的延长线
  from the center to the diesel generator outside.
  让社区中心能够接上外面的柴油发电机
  Looking at this setup, I knew the minute the reporters left,
  看到这种情形 我知道一旦记者离开
  the generator would get to a more urgent task.
  发电机就会被用到更紧急的任务
  And the people at the community center would go back to worry about challenges
  而社区中心的人们也需要重新去面对
  that couldn't be solved by a personal computer.
  那些不是个人计算机就能解决的问题
  When I gave my prepared remarks to the press, I said Soweto is a milestone.
  我按照事先准备的讲稿 对媒体说索韦托是一个里程碑
  There's major decisions ahead about whether technology
  在未来 为了不让发展中国家在技术上落后
  will leave the developing world behind.
  显然还有很多重大决定要做
  This is to close the gap.
  我们将像这样 努力缩小技术上的鸿沟
  But as I read those words, I knew they weren't super relevant.
  但在我阅读这份讲稿时 我深知情况远远没有这么简单
  What I didn't say was, by the way,
  讲稿上有一段我没有读 也就是
  we're not focused on the fact that half a million people on this continent are
  我们还没开始关注这块大陆上 每年有大约
  dying every year from malaria.
  五十万人死于疟疾这一事实
  But we are sure as hell going to bring you computers.
  但我们至少能够给大家带来计算机
  Before I went to Soweto, I thought I understood the world's problems
  在我去索韦托之前 我以为我了解世界的问题
  but I was blind to many of the most important ones.
  事实上 我对很多重要问题都一无所知
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/gzrwyj/290561.html