世界小史 第1章:从前(在线收听

   第一章 从前

  All stories begin with "Once upon a time".
  所有的故事都以"从前 "开头。
  And that's just what this story is all about: what happened, once upon a time.
  那恰好是这个故事所要讲的:从前发生了什么?
  Once you were so small that, even standing on tiptoes, you could barely reach your mother's hand.
  从前你非常小,站着都几乎够不着你母亲的手。
  Do you remember?
  你记得吗?
  世界小史1.jpg
  Your own history might begin like this:
  你自己的故事可能这样开头:
  "Once upon a time there was a small boy" – or a small girl – "and that small boy was me".
  “从前有一个小男孩”--或者一个小女孩--“那个小男孩就是我”。
  But before that you were a baby in a cradle.
  在那以前你是一个襁褓中的婴孩。
  You won't remember that, but you know it's true.
  这一点你回忆不起来了,但是你知道。
  Your father and mother were also small once, and so was your grandfather, and your grandmother.
  你的父亲和母亲从前也是小孩,你的祖父和祖母也一样。
  a much longer time ago, but you know that too.
  这已经是很久以前的事,但你仍然知道这件事。
  After all, we say: "They are old".
  我们说:“他们是老人”。
  But they too had grandfathers and grandmothers, and they, too, could say:"Once upon a time".
  他们也曾经有过祖父和祖母,所以他们也曾经可以说:"从前"。
  And so it goes on, further and further back.
  所以就这样永远上溯,再上溯。
  Behind every "Once upon a time" there is always another.
  在每一个"从前"之后总是还有另一个。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/sjxs/334381.html