精灵鼠小弟 第7期:家庭话题禁忌老鼠(在线收听) |
"I don't want Stuart to get a lot of notions in his head," said Mr. Little. "我不想让斯图亚特因此而想得太多,"利特尔先生说。
I should feel badly to have my son grow up fearing that a farmer's wife was going to cut off his tail with a carving knife.
如果我的儿子长大以后害怕会有一个农夫的妻子来用切肉刀把他的尾巴割下来,我会很难过的。
It is such things that make children dream bad dreams when they go to bed at night.
这念头会使在夜里睡着的孩子做噩梦的。
"Yes," replied Mrs. Little, and I think we had better start thinking about the poem:
"是的,"利特尔太太回答,我想我们也应该想到那首诗:
Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
这是圣诞的前夜,房子里没有一个动物在乱跑,甚至是一只老鼠。
I think it might embarrass Stuart to hear mice mentioned in such a belittling manner.
我想斯图亚特要是听到有人用这么轻蔑的口气来说老鼠,他可能会感到很窘的。
"That's right," said her husband, "but what shall we say when we come to that line in the poem? "
"就是,"她的丈夫说,"可是当我们读到这一行诗时,该怎么说呢?”
We'll have to say something. We can't just say : Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house not a creature was stirring;
我们不得不说些什么吧。我们不能只说:这是圣诞的前夜,房子里没有一个动物在乱跑'吧,那样听起来就不完整了;
That doesn't sound complete; it needs a word to rhyme with house.
那时就需要说一个能与'房子'押韵的词。
"What about louse?" asked Mrs. Little.
"虱子怎么样?"利特尔太太问。
"Or grouse," said Mr. Little.
"或是松鸡。"利特尔先生说。
"I suggest souse," remarked George, who had been listening to the conversation from across the room.
"我建议用酒鬼。"恰好从房间里走出来并听到这些谈话的乔治提醒道。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/jlsxd/335702.html |