英语听书《海底两万里》第135期 第10章 水中人(6)(在线收听

   I kept quiet, with good reason.

  我故意不回答。
  What was the use of debating such a proposition, when superior force can wipe out the best arguments?
  因为碰到蛮不讲理的时候,再来讨论这类题目还有什么意义呢?
  It took me a good while to decide, the commander went on. Nothing obliged me to grant you hospitality.
  我犹豫了很久,船长又说,我没有任何义务接待你们。
  If I were to part company with you, I'd have no personal interest in ever seeing you again.
  如果我要撇开你们,我就不想再来看你们了。
  I could put you back on the platform of this ship that has served as your refuge.
  我会把际们重新放在曾经作为你们避难所的这只船的平台上,
  I could sink under the sea, and I could forget you ever existed. Wouldn't that be my right?
  就当你们没有存在一样,只管潜入海中。难道我没有这样的权利吗?
  Perhaps it would be the right of a savage, I replied. But not that of a civilized man.
  这也许是野蛮人的权利,我答,而不是文明人的权利。
  Professor, the commander replied swiftly, I'm not what you term a civilized man!
  教授先生,船长很激动地回答,我不是你们所说的文明人,
  I've severed all ties with society, for reasons that I alone have the right to appreciate.
  为了我个人才能感觉到的理由,我跟整个人类社会断绝了关系。
  Therefore I obey none of its regulations, and I insist that you never invoke them in front of me!
  所以我不服从人类社会的法规。希望您以后不要再在我面前提这些东西了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/336203.html