美丽新世界Brave New World 第7章(9)(在线收听) |
"And flying back in the evening from Stoke Poges. And then a hot bath and vibro-vacuummassage … But there." She drew a deep breath, shook her head, opened her eyes again, sniffed once or twice, then blew her nose on her fingers and wiped them on the skirt of her tunic. “晚上从斯托克波吉飞回去,洗一个热水澡,来一次真空振动按摩……哎,”她深深地吸了一口气,摇了摇头,又睁开了眼睛,用鼻子嗅了一两下,用手指捏了鼻涕,揩在自己短衫衣襟上。
"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said in response to Lenina's involuntary grimace of disgust.
“啊,对不起。”她看见列宁娜下意识的厌恶表情,说,
"I oughtn't to have done that. I'm sorry. But whatare you to do when there aren't any handkerchiefs?
“对不起,我不该这么做,可要是你,没有手绢你又能怎么办?
I remember how it used to upset me, all that dirt, and nothing being aseptic.
我记得当初那些肮脏多叫我生气,所有的东西都没有防腐。
I had an awful cut on my head when they first brought me here.
他们最初带我来时我头上有一个可怕的伤口。
You can't imagine what they used to put on it.
你就想象不出他们拿什么东西涂在伤口上。
Filth, just filth. 'Civilization is Sterilization,' I used to say t them.
污秽,只有污秽。‘文明就是消毒,’我老对他们说,
And 'Streptocock-Gee to Banbury-T, to see a fine bathroom and W.C.' as though they were children.
甚至对他们说顺口溜,‘链球菌马儿右转弯,转到斑波里T字边,T字边去把什么干?看看漂亮的洗手间。’好像他们全是些娃娃。
But of course they didn't understand. How should they?
但是他们当然不会懂。他们怎么会懂呢?
And in the end I suppose I got used to it.
看来我最后也就习惯了。
And anyhow, how can you keep things clean when there isn't hot water laid on?
何况没有安热水管,怎么干净得了?
And look at these clothes. This beastly wool isn't like acetate.
你看这些衣服。这种丑八怪毛呢老穿不破,不像人造丝。
It lasts and lasts. And you're supposed to mend it if it gets torn.
而且按要求破了你还得补。
But I'm a Beta; I worked in the Fertilizing Room; nobody ever taught me to do anything like that.
可我是个比塔,是在授精室工作的,谁也没有教过我干这种活儿,那不是我分内的事。
It wasn't my business. Besides, it never used to be right to mend clothes.
何况那时候修补是一种错误。
Throw them away when they've got holes in them and buy new.
有了窟窿就扔掉,买新的。
'The more stiches, the less riches.' Isn't that right? Mending's anti-social.
‘越缝越穷’,这话难道不对吗?修补是反社会的行为。
But it's all different here.
可在这儿就不同了。
It's like living with lunatics. Everything they do is mad."
简直像是跟疯子生活在一起。他们干的每一件事都是发疯。”
She looked round; saw John and Bernard had left them and were walking up and down in the dust and garbage outside the house;
她四面一望,见约翰和伯纳已经离开了她,在屋子外面的灰沙和垃圾中走来走去,
but, none the less confidentially lowering her voice, and leaning, while Lenina stiffened and shrank,
却仍然放低了嗓门,机密地猫着腰靠了过来,列宁娜僵硬了身子退开了。
so close that the blown reek of embryo-poison stirred the hair on her cheek.
老太婆那毒害胚胎的臭味吹动了列宁娜面颊上的汗毛。
"For instance," she hoarsely whispered, "take the way they have one another here.
“比如,”她低声沙哑地说,“就拿他们这儿男女相处的方式来说吧。
Mad, I tell you, absolutely mad.
那是发疯,绝对的发疯。
Everybody belongs to every one else–don't they? don't they?" she insisted, tugging at Lenina's sleeve.
人人属于彼此——他们会这样吗?会吗?”她揪着列宁娜的袖子追问。
Lenina nodded her averted head, let out the breath she had been holding and managed to draw another one, relatively untainted.
列宁娜把头扭到一边,点了点头,出了一口气(她刚才屏住了呼吸),设法吸了一口比较不太受污染的空气。
"Well, here," the other went on, "nobody's supposed to belong to more than one person.
“哼,人在这儿是不会属于一个以上的人的。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mlxsj/341406.html |