美丽新世界Brave New World 第7章(10)(在线收听) |
And if you have people in the ordinary way, the others think you're wicked and anti-social. 你要是按照常现接受男人,人家就说你坏,反社会。
They hate and despise you.
就会仇恨你,瞧不起你。
Once a lot of women came and made a scene because their men came to see me.
有一回一大批女人来找我大闹了一场,因为她们的男人来看我。
Well, why not? And then they rushed at me … No, it was too awful.
哼,为什么不能来看我?然后,她们向我冲了过来……不,太可怕了!
I can't tell you about it." Linda covered her face with her hands and shuddered.
我没法告诉你。”琳妲用手遮住脸,吓坏了。
"They're so hateful, the women here. Mad, mad and cruel.
“这儿的女人非常可恨;她们疯狂,疯狂而且残忍。
And of course they don't know anything about Malthusian Drill, or bottles, or decanting, or anything of that sort.
她们当然不懂得马尔萨斯操、培养瓶、换瓶和诸如此类的东西。
So they're having children all the time–like dogs. It's too revolting.
太叫人受不了了。
And to think that I … Oh, Ford, Ford, Ford! And yet John was a great comfort to me.
想想看,我居然……啊,福帝,福帝,福帝!可是约翰对我倒的确是个很大的安慰。
I don't know what I should have done without him. Even though he did get so upset whenever a man …
要是没有他我真不知道会干出什么事来。即使他常常因为有男人……
Quite as a tiny boy, even.
而很伤心,就连还是个娃娃的时候他也……
Once (but that was when he was bigger) he tried to kill poor Waihusiwa—or was it Popé?–just because I used to have them sometimes.
有一回,他甚至因为我常跟可怜的朗西瓦——也许是波培?——睡觉,就想杀死他(不过,那时约翰已经大了一些)。
Because I never could make him understand that that was what civilized people ought to do.
因为我从来无法让他懂得那是文明人应当做的事。
Being mad's infectious I believe. Anyhow, John seems to have caught it from the Indians. Because, of course, he was with them a lot. Even though they always were so beastly to him and wouldn't let him do all the things the other boys did.
我觉得疯狂是会传染的。总之,约翰似乎从印第安人那儿传染了疯病,当然,因为他跟他们一起的时候很多,尽管他们对他很恶劣,也不让他做别的小伙子可以做的事。
Which was a good thing in a way, because it made it easier for me to condition him a little.
这在一定的意义上倒是好事。因为那可以让我更容易为他设置条件。
Though you've no idea how difficult that is.
虽然你就不知道那有多么困难。
There's so much one doesn't know; it wasn't my business to know.
我不知道的东西太多了。我本来是没有义务去知道那些事的。
I mean, when a child asks you how a helicopter works or who made the world—well, what are you to answer if you're a Beta and have always worked in the Fertilizing Room?
我是说,孩子问你,直升飞机是怎么飞的,世界是什么东西造的——你看,你如果是个一直就在授精室工作的比塔,你怎么回答?
What are you to answer?"
你能够拿什么话回答?” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mlxsj/341407.html |