美丽新世界Brave New World 第12章(1)(在线收听) |
Bernard had to shout through the locked door; the Savage would not open. "But everybody's there, waiting for you." 伯纳只好对紧闭的门大叫,野蛮人却不肯开门。“可是,大家都在那儿等你。”
"Let them wait," came back the muffled voice through the door.
“让他们等吧。”屋里传来嗡声嗡气的回答。
"But you know quite well, John" (how difficult it is to sound persuasive at the top of one's voice!) "I asked them on purpose to meet you."
“可是你很明白,约翰。”(又要大喊大叫又要带说服口气,多么困难呀!)“我是特地让他们来看你的。”
You ought to have asked me first whether I wanted to meet them.
你倒应该先征求一下我的意见,问问我愿不愿见他们。
But you always came before, John.
可你以前总来的,约翰。
That's precisely why I don't want to come again.
那正是我再也不愿来的理由。
"Just to please me," Bernard bellowingly wheedled. "Won't you come to please me?"
“只不过让我高兴一下,”伯纳声嘶力竭地劝说着,“你就不愿意让我高兴一下吗?”
No.
不愿意。
Do you seriously mean it? Yes.
真不愿意?真不愿意。
Despairingly, "But what shall I do?" Bernard wailed.
绝望了。“那我怎么办呢?”伯纳哀号了起来。
"Go to hell!" bawled the exasperated voice from within.
“那你就赶快走!”屋里的声音吼叫着,很懊恼。
"But the Arch-Community-Songster of Canterbury is there to-night." Bernard was almost in tears.
“可是坎特伯雷社区首席歌手今晚要来。”伯纳几乎哭了。
"Ai yaa tákwa!" It was only in Zuni that the Savage could adequately express what he felt about the Arch-Community-Songster.
“哎呀踏夸,”野蛮人只能用祖尼语才能确切表达他对社区首席歌手的感受。
"Háni!" he added as an after-thought; and then (with what derisive ferocity!): "Sons éso tse-ná."
“哈尼!”他又补充了一句,然后说:“松,厄索策纳。”(多尖刻的嘲弄口气!)
And he spat on the ground, as Popé might have done.
然后他对地上吐了一口痰,波培也会这么做的。
In the end Bernard had to slink back, diminished, to his rooms and inform the impatient assembly that the Savage would not be appearing that evening.
伯纳终于泄了气,只好溜回他的屋子,通知等得不耐烦的观众野蛮人那天晚上不会来了。
The news was received with indignation.
客人对这个消息很气愤。
The men were furious at having been tricked into behaving politely to this insignificant fellow with the unsavoury reputation and the heretical opinions.
男人们气得要命,因为上了当,太给这个无足轻重的、持异端观点的、声名狼藉的人面子。
The higher their position in the hierarchy, the deeper their resentment.
社会地位越高的人越是愤慨。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mlxsj/360197.html |