课本上学不到的口语表达第三波(在线收听) |
01 I beat you to it. ?beat somebody to it:
比某人抢先一步做了某事。
?I was just about to open some wine but I see you've beaten me to it.
我刚想开瓶酒呢,看来你抢在我前头开了啊。
02 Jimmy stood me up last night.
?stand someone up:
放某人鸽子。爽约。
?He stood up his date while he played basketball with the guys.
他因为和基友们打篮球,放了女朋友的鸽子。
03 All I want to do is zone out in front of the TV.
?zone out:
指让思想放空,对周遭事物浑然不觉。Zone是区域的意思,zone out相当于思想游离到另一个地方去了……
?At the end of a long, stressful day, all I want to do is go home and zone out in front of the television.
经过漫长的压力山大的一天,我现在只想回家坐在电视机前发呆。
?in the zone:
相反的,in the zone就是指精力集中,精神状态极佳,尤指运动员、表演者的表现。
?I love when I'm running on a nice day with my headphones on and I just get in the zone. I feel like I can keep running forever.
我喜欢天气好的时候戴上耳机去跑步,感觉精神状态特别好,好像能永远跑下去。
04 Without further ado, I would like to...
?without further ado [?'du:]:
闲话少说;进入正题。Ado意思是忙乱、纷扰、麻烦……
?And so, without further ado, let me introduce you to tonight's speaker.
所以,闲话少说,下面就有请今晚的演讲嘉宾。
05 I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.
?haven't seen the last of (something):
某事物消失了,但你觉得它还会卷土重来,就可以用这个表达。
?We got rid of the ants in the kitchen, but I bet we haven't seen the last of them.
我们把厨房里的蚂蚁都弄走了,不过我打赌它们还会出现的。
这是一个比较戏剧化的说法,所以常在电视里听到。比如反派被打败了,也许会有这样的台词:
?You win this time, but you haven't seen the last of me!
这次算你赢!但别以为我就会这么消失!灭哈哈哈……
06 It will come to me.
?it will come to someone:
会想起来的。忘了什么事的时候,可以说这句话。
?It'll come to you. The minute you stop trying to find it, it will find you.
你会想起来的。你不去费劲去找它的时候,它就会自动出现。
07 We went out of our way to please the visitor.
?go out of one's way:
努力、费尽麻烦做某事。
?I went out of my way to make sure they were comfortable.
我费尽心力确保他们能住得舒服。
?We appreciate anything you can do, but don't go out of your way.
你做的一切我们都很感激,但千万别太麻烦自己。
08 Hold on. Just hear me out first.
?hear someone out:
听某人说完他想说的,或者,倾听某一方的说法。
?Let him talk! Hear him out! Listen to his side!
让他说!听他说完!看看他怎么说!
?Hear out the witness. Don't jump to conclusions.
我们要所有证人的证词都听一遍,不要武断下结论。
09 So do we have an agreement?
?do we have an agreement:
通常在商定一件事后说的话。对方同意了,就表示讨论的事情就这么定下了。
也可以说:
?Do we have a deal?
那就这么定了?
?Do we have an understanding?
我们都很明确对方的想法对吧?
10 Just a heads up.
?a heads up:
给某人提个醒,提前告知一声。“Heads up”说法来自体育运动,在扔球前,让对方抬头,别被砸着。后来广泛用于社交场合。
?Just a heads up - we're going to have to meet soon.
先跟你说一声,我们很快会见面的。
?I wanted to give you a heads up that I'll be sending you the revised form for your approval.
我想提前告诉你一下,我一会儿把修改好的表格发给你审核。
11 When's it due?
?due:
通常指交作业、交账单的最后期限。
?When is this paper due?
论文要什么时候交?
另外,如果due的对象是人,那么意思多半指预产期。
?When are you due?
你啥时候生?
12 Well, what's done is done!
?what's done is done:|
无法改变的事情,只能将就了。文绉绉一点就是,覆水难收、木已成舟。
?It's too late to change it now. What's done is done.
现在换已经来不及啦,认了吧。
13 Can you put me up for a few days?
?put someone up:
给某人提供临时住宿。
?When my in-laws were here we put them up at the Four Seasons.
老婆家的亲戚来的时候,我们安排他们住四季酒店了。
14 I might take you up on that.
?take someone up on something:
接受某人的邀请,或接受某人提出的建议。
?I took him up on his offer to take me out to dinner.
他邀我约会吃饭,我答应了。
也可以用这个表达来接受某人的打赌挑战。
?He bet me twenty bucks that I couldn't get a perfect score, and I took him up on it.
他赌20块我考不好,我决定跟他赌一把。
15 I'm keeping my options open.
?keep one's options open:
等待中,尚未做决定。Option是选择、选项。
?I want to keep my options open, so I didn't sign the contract yet.
我想再等等看,所以还没签合同。
16 You might want to reconsider it.
?you might want to (do something):
建议某人做某事的礼貌说法。适用于各种场合,是对陌生人、同事或亲密的人都可以用的句法。
?Babe, you might want to trim that beard...
亲爱的,你是不是该修修胡子啦……
?You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games.
你应该多花些时间在学习上,少玩些游戏。
?类似地,告诫对方不要做某事,可以说,you don't want to...
?You don't want to rush things.
不要操之过急。
17 We've just been catching up with each other.
?catch up with (someone):
朋友之间彼此了解近况。
?It was so lovely catching up with you.
能和你聊聊近况真开心。
18 There is just no such thing as God.
?There is just no such thing as... :
某种情况是不存在的。
?There's no such thing as love. It's just fantasy.
根本没有“爱情”这回事。不过是你的幻想而已。
19 I think you need to get your priorities straight.
?get one's priorities straight:
分清主次。Priority [prai'?r?ti],指优先考虑的事情。
?Our top priority right now is making sure that everyone is OK.
我们目前的当务之急是确保每个人都无恙。
?Amazing how fire exposes our priorities.
大火能暴露我们最在意的东西,真神奇。
20 To put it another way, I don't like it.
?to put it another way:
换言之。Put,有表达的意思。
?You're still very young, Tom. To put it another way, you don't have any idea about what you're getting into.
汤姆,你还太年轻。换句话说,你不知道自己现在正陷入什么。
?Well, that's one way to put it.
好吧,也可以这么说。
?The subject matter makes the painting a little, how shall I put it, undesirable for public display.
这幅画的主题有点……该怎么说呢,不大适合展览出来。
21 I get yelled at all the time.
?get yelled at:
字面意思就是被人吼,被人骂。指受到批评、责骂。
?I got yelled at for not calling.
我没打电话,被骂了。
?Do you get yelled at a lot in the military?
在部队里会经常被训斥吗?
22 I will check on Jeff while he's not feeling well.
?check (up/in) on something/someone:
查看某人某事的情况,比如监督下属的工作状况、关心病人的病情、留意小孩是否安全等……
?Go upstairs to check up on the children and make sure they're all asleep.
上楼去看看孩子们睡了没。
?I just thought I'd check in on you and see how you're doing.
我就是想来看看你好些了没。
23 It happens. Don't worry about it.
?it happens:
糟糕的事情发生时,用来安慰人的说法。相当于说,倒霉的事时常发生,别太在意。粗俗一点,还可以说,shit happens。
?A: My girlfriend just broke up with me.
我女票跟我掰了……
B: It happens.
节哀顺变。
?John stepped in a big pile of dog shit, so Tom said "it happens".
约翰踩到狗屎了,汤姆说,踩踩更健康。
24 It's on me.
?it's on me:
我来付账。也可以说,This one's on me.
?John: Check, please.
你好,结账。
Bill: No, it's on me this time.
别啊,这顿我请。
?商家免费送的商品或服务,可以说on the house.
?I was the ten thousandth customer, so my dinner was on the house.
我是第一万个客户,所以那顿晚餐就免费了。
?Here, have a cup of coffee on the house.
免费送您一杯咖啡,请慢用。
25 My computer is acting up again.
?act up
(疾病)发作;(机器)出毛病;(孩子)调皮捣蛋。
?My left knee acts up in damp weather.
天气一潮我左膝盖就发作。
?The children have been acting up all evening.
整个晚上孩子们都在调皮捣蛋。
26 Is that a thing?
?(something) is a thing:
很流行很出名,或者人人熟知的某事物,可以叫“a thing”。这是年轻人常用的口语说法,正式场合慎用。
?A: His ideas are so out-of-the-box. They're boxless!
他脑洞实在太大了,想法好新奇,完全是boxless!
注:out-of-the-box:形容不同寻常的创意想法。
B: "Boxless?" Is that a thing?
Boxless?现在人们都这么说了么?
A: No, I just made it up.
呃,没,我刚瞎编的。
?Huge, baggy suits were kind of a thing back in those days.
那时候特别流行那种宽宽大大的西装。
27 It doesn't hurt to ask.
?it doesn't hurt to:
做某件事有百利而无一害。
?It doesn't hurt to have a group of talented, educated people living in your community.
小区里住着一群有才、有教养的人没什么不好的。
28 I'm just looking.
?just looking...
表示随便看看,是购物时遇到推销的导购,最好的回答。
?-Hi, can I help you?
你好,需要帮忙吗?
-No thanks, I'm just looking!
不用了,谢谢,我就随便看看。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/listen/yyky2/379167.html |