创业成功人士访谈录 第15期:乔布斯(9)(在线收听

   People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on.

  人们以为“专注” 的意思就是对你必须关注的事情点头称是。
  But that’s not what it means at all.
  但这并不是“专注”的全部内涵。
  It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are.
  “专注”意味着必须对另外100个好点子说不。
  You have to pick carefully.
  谨慎小心地作出选择。
  I’m actually as proud of many of the things we haven’t done as the things we have done.
  事实上,任何事情,做或不做,我都引以为傲。
  The clearest example was when we were pressured for years to do a PDA,
  有一个再贴切不过的例子:多年以来,我们都迫切地需要一款PDA产品,
  and I realized one day that 90% of the people who use a PDA only take information out of it on the road.
  而终于有一天我意识到,90%的PDA用户只是在路上把信息从里头调出来而已,
  They don’t put information into it.
  而不放进去。
  Pretty soon cellphones are going to do that,
  不久,手机就实现了这样的功能,
  so the PDA market’s going to get reduced to a fraction of its current size,
  于是PDA市场就萎缩到了今天的规模,
  and it won’t really be sustainable.
  而且也没有可持续性。
  So we decided not to get into it.
  所以我们决定不进入这个领域。
  If we had gotten into it, we probably wouldn’t have had the resources to do the iPod.
  如果们选择了跟进,我们就没有资源去开发iPod了。
  We probahlv wouldn’t have seen it coming.
  我们基本上会连它的影子都见不着。
  What’s your management style?
  你的管理风格是怎样的?
  We’ve got 25,000 people at Apple.
  在苹果公司,我们有2.5万人。
  About 10,000 of them are in the stores.
  差不多1万人在专卖店里工作。
  And my job is to work with sort of the top 100 people, that’s what I do.
  而我的工作是和最顶端的大约100个人协作,这就是我的工作内容。
  That doesn’t mean they’re all vice presidents.
  这并不意味着他们都是副总裁之类的领导,
  Some of them are just key individual contributors.
  他们中的一些人只是贡献卓越的关键性个体。
  So when a good idea comes, you know, part of my job is to move it around,
  所以如果有好点子出现,我的一部分工作就是把它传播开来,
  just see what different people think, get people talking about it, argue with people about it,
  看看不同的人怎么想,让人们围绕着它展开讨论,
  get ideas moving among that group of 100 people,
  让想法在这个由100人组成的群体里充分循环,
  get different people together to explore different aspects of it quietly,
  让不同的人从不同的层面对它展开摸索,
  and, you know-just explore things.
  你知道的,就是深入摸索。
  What do you think of the operating system?
  你对操作系统怎么看?
  Do you think it’s beneficial?
  你认为它有好处吗?
  That allows us to innovate at a much faster rate than if we had to wait for Microsoft,
  它使我们更快地创新,
  like Dell and HP and everybody else does.
  而不像戴尔、惠普和其他所有公司那样看着微软干着急。
  Because Microsoft has their own timetable, for probably good reasons.
  因为微软或许是出于好意有自己的时间安排。
  I mean Vista took what—seven or eight years?
  我说的是,Vista好像让人等了七八年?
  It’s hard to get your new feature that you need for your new hardware if it has to wait eight years.
  如果你需要等上8年,那为新硬件添加新功能就更无从起了。
  So we can set our own priorities and look at things in a more holistic way from the point of view of the customer.
  而我们则可以自行决定孰轻重,从消费者的角度出发,更全面地看问题。
  It also means that we can take it and we can make a version of it to fit in the iPhone and the iPod.
  这也意味着我们不但可以把系统玩弄于股掌之间,还可以为iPhone和iPod制作特别的版本。
  And, you know, we certainly couldn’t do that if we didn’t own it.
  而且,如果没有操作系统,我们什么都实现不了。
  Then tell us something about your marathon Monday meetings.
  跟我们说说你们苹果周一马拉松似的例会吧。
  When you hire really good people you have to give them a piece of the business and let them run with it.
  当你招到了真正的人才,你就必须让他们分担一部分生意,并且充分放权。
  That doesn’t mean I don’t get to kibitz a lot.
  当然这并不意味着我就不能发表意见了。
  But the reason you’re hiring them is because you’re going to give them the reins.
  可是你招他们进来就是为了把接力棒交到他们手里。
  I want them making as good or better decisions than I would.
  我希望他们能够做到青出于蓝而胜于蓝。
  So the way to do that is to have them know everything,
  所以要实现这个目标,就必须让他们了解所有事情,
  not just in their part of the business, but in every part of the business.
  而不是停留于自身的业务范围之内。
  So what we do every Monday is we review the whole business.
  所以我们每周一做的事情就是回顾整个公司的运营情况。
  We look at what we sold the week before.
  我们着眼于之前一周的销售项目。
  We look at every single product under development, products we’re having trouble with,
  我们着眼于每个开发不足的产品,难着手的产品
  products where the demand is larger than we can make.
  那些供不应求的产品。
  All the stuff in development, we review.
  我们检查所有开发中的产品,
  And we do it every single week.
  每周一次。
  I put out an agenda—80% is the same as it was the last week,
  我们做了一份日程——80%是与上周相同的,
  and we just walk down it every single week.
  我们每周都重新做。
  We don’t have a lot of process at Apple,
  在苹果公司,我们没有太多的繁文缛节,
  but that’s one of the few things we do just to all stay on the same page.
  但这是为数不多的雷打不动的惯例之一。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400449.html