欧美名人演讲 第15期:威廉王子向中国人发表关爱野生动物演讲(3)(在线收听

   Only last month President Xi announced that China will take steps to halt the domestic trade in ivory,

  就在上个月习主席宣布中国会采取措施遏制国内象牙交易。
  adding to the ban on ivory carving imports he announced in February.
  他今年二月份也宣布禁止象牙雕刻的进口。
  But we know the illegal wildlife trade cannot be solved by governments alone.
  但是我们知道仅仅依靠政府是无法解决非法野生动物贸易的。
  The spotlight falls back on all of us, and on the choices we have to make to play our part in addressing this problem.
  焦点重新回到我们所有人身上。为了解决这个问题,我们应该做出选择贡献我们的力量。
  We have to accept the truth that consumers are driving the demand for animal body parts, for art, for trinkets, for medicine.
  我们必须承认是消费者驱动了对用动物身体制作的艺术品、装饰品和药品的需求。
  Only we as consumers can put the wildlife traffickers out of business, by ending our demand for their products.
  只有我们这些消费者可以通过不再购买他们的产品,而让野生动物走私者的生意倒闭。
  I know we can do this.
  我知道我们可以做到。
  The desire to possess animal trophies, or ornaments made from ivory, has been felt on every continent for centuries.
  对动物制品和象牙饰品的渴求已经在各个大洲上绵延了数个世纪。
  I know this topic is sensitive for many families.
  我知道对许多家庭来说这都是一个敏感的话题。
  For example, until 100 years ago my ancestors were among those who had little concern about acquiring ivory,
  例如直到100年前我的祖先还像其他人一样热衷于获取象牙,
  without the knowledge of the threats of extinction, corruption, and violence that the ivory trade would lead to.
  丝毫没有意识到象牙贸易会导致怎样的暴力、腐败和灭绝的威胁。
  My rejection of ivory today is not a judgement of past generations.
  我今天反对象牙贸易并不是对上几代人的妄加评断。
  It is an acceptance of the world as I find it today and the world I want my children, George and Charlotte, to inherit.
  它只是我对于当今世界的看法,也是一个我想让自己的孩子乔治与夏洛特想要继承的世界。
  Likewise, those doctors and medical practitioners in China that are speaking out against the use of endangered species in medicine,
  类似的那些在中国反对在药材中使用野生动物的医生和从医者,
  they are not judging previous generations who did not have the facts that you do today.
  他们不是在批评那些缺乏资讯的前辈。
  They are just accepting the truth that all credible evidence and scientific research shows,
  他们只是接受了可靠证据和科学研究新发现的事实。
  for example, that rhino horn cannot cure cancer.
  例如犀牛角并不能治疗癌症。
  We have a responsibility to act on the facts we have today.
  我们有责任根据我们当下的事实而行动。
  By doing so we are honouring the generations that have come before us and we are protecting those that are yet to come.
  这是对付出努力的前辈的尊重,也是对后来人的保护。
  I do not think that any of us would stand and watch an elephant or rhino being killed—or a ranger being gunned down
  我不相信我们中的任何一个人会愿意眼睁睁地看着一头大象或犀牛被猎杀,或者一位护林员被戕害,
  because we wanted a bracelet or an ornament to impress someone else as a gift.
  仅仅为了一条讨好他人的手镯或者其他装饰品。
  But that is what the demand for wildlife products means in practice.
  但它们确实是野生动物制品需求的来源。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/oumryj/405194.html