ESL杰夫的一天 第35期:吃早餐讲解(10)(在线收听) |
And, jam is made from fruit—such as strawberries—and sugar, 而果酱是由草莓这类的水果和糖做成的, and they put them together and it makes a thick liquid that you can put on a piece of toast. 人们把它们放在一起,这样就能做出放在吐司片上的浓稠的液体糖。
We would say we spread the jam on the toast. 我们会说我们把果酱涂在吐司上。
We use that verb spread, "spread," to talk about putting butter or putting jam on a piece of toast, usually with a knife. 我们用那个动词涂(spread)来表示把黄油或果酱放在一块吐司上,一般是借助小刀。
When I am done with my breakfast, "I rinse off my breakfast dishes." 当我吃完早餐的时候,“我冲洗吃早餐时用的餐具”
To rinse means to clean something with water. 冲洗的意思是用水清洗某物。
To rinse off is the verb. You could just say, "I rinse my breakfast dishes," “Rinse off”也是动词。你完全可以说,“I rinse my breakfast dishes,”,
but we like those two word verbs in English and so we would probably say, "rinse off my breakfast dishes." 但在英语里我们喜欢用那些两个字组成的动词,所以我们可能会说,“rinse off my breakfast dishes."
I rinse them off in the sink, and I "put them in the dishwasher.” 我在水槽中冲洗它们,然后我“把它们放到洗碗机里。”
The dishwasher, "dishwasher," is a machine that cleans the dishes. 洗碗机(dishwasher)是清洗餐具的机器。
Some families have dishwashers. 有些家庭拥有洗碗机。
The joke that we make sometimes in English is that someone— when someone says, "Oh, do you have a dishwasher," 在英语中我们有时会开的玩笑是——当某人说,“噢,你有洗碗机吗,”
and you say, "Yes, I am the dishwasher," which means you don't have a machine that washes your dishes; you wash your dishes by yourself. 你会说“有啊,我就是洗碗机呀,”你的意思是你没有用来清洗餐具的机器;你要自己清洗餐具。
We would say you wash them by hand. 我们会说你是用手清洗它们。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/414929.html |