夏洛的网 第178期:叔叔(4)(在线收听

   As soon as the people were gone, Charlotte spoke to Wilbur. 人们一走,夏洛就对威尔伯说:

  "It's a good thing you can't see what I see," she said. “我在上面看到的东西是你在下面看不到的。”它说。
  "What do you see?" asked Wilbur. “你看到什么了?”威尔伯问道。
  "There's a pig in the next pen and he's enormous. “隔壁猪圈有只猪,很大很大。
  I'm afraid he's much bigger than you are." 我怕它比你大多了。”
  "Maybe he's older than I am, and has had more time to grow," suggested Wilbur. “也许它的岁数比我大,活得比我长。”威尔伯说。
  Tears began to come to his eyes. 它的眼里流出了泪水。
  "I'll drop down and have a closer look," Charlotte said. “让我吊下去好好近看看它。”夏洛说。
  Then she crawled along a beam till she was directly over the next pen. 于是它顺着横梁爬到隔壁猪圈上面。
  She let herself down on a dragline until she hung in the air just in front of the big pig's snout. 它吐出一根长丝,一直落到那大猪的鼻子前面。
  "May I have your name?" she asked, politely. “能请问一下,你叫什么名字吗?”夏洛彬彬有礼地问道。
  The pig stared at her. 那猪看着它。
  "No name," he said in a big, hearty voice. "Just call me Uncle." “我没有名字,”它响亮地大声说。“那就叫我‘叔叔’吧。”
  "Very well, Uncle," replied Charlotte. “很好,‘叔叔’,”夏洛回答说,
  "What is the date of your birth? Are you a spring pig?" “你是哪一天出生的?你是春猪吗?”
  "Sure I'm a spring pig," replied Uncle. “我当然是春猪,”“叔叔”回答说,
  "What did you think I was, a spring chicken? “你以为我是什么,一只春鸡吗?
  Haw, haw - that's a good one, eh, Sister." 哈,哈——这笑话不错吧,对吗,小妹妹?”
  "Mildly funny," said Charlotte. "I've heard funnier ones, though. “相当滑稽,”夏洛说,“不过我听到过更滑稽的。
  Glad to have met you, and now I must be going." 很高兴碰到你,现在我得走了。”
  She ascended slowly and returned to Wilbur's pen. 夏洛慢慢地爬上去,回到威尔伯的猪圈。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/xldw/418775.html