ESL露西的一天 第4期:起床讲解(3)(在线收听

   There's an expression "if you snooze, you lose."     有这样一个表达“起得晚,输得惨。”

  If you snooze, you lose, which means if you fall asleep - if you are not awake, you may miss something important. 如果你贪睡,你就会输,这意味着如果你睡着了,没有醒过来,就可能会错过重要的东西。
  You will not win; you will lose if you are sleeping. 如果你睡着,你就不会赢,你会输掉。
  This used to happen to me when I was young, I would snooze, and then I would lose. 我年轻的时候经常遇到这种事。我经常睡懒觉,因此输掉一些东西。
  I would miss things because I was sleeping.  我会因为睡觉错过很多事。
  Now I try to stay awake more. 现在我会争取少睡会儿。
  Anyway, getting back to Lucy's story, well, she likes to sleep another ten minutes.   好了,回到露西的故事。她喜欢多睡十分钟。
  Her roommate thinks that she's crazy, but she says that using her snooze button in the morning helps her wake up. 她室友觉得她古怪,但她说早上用贪睡按钮可以帮助自己醒来。
  Remember, to wake up, "wake" up (two words), means to stop sleeping. 记住,醒来(wake up),两个单词,意思是停止睡觉。
  Lucy says that she's "a night owl, not an early bird."   露西说她自己是“夜猫子,不是早起鸟。”
  A night owl, "owl," means someone who likes to go to bed very late at night - 11:30 p.m., 12 o'clock midnight. 夜猫子(owl)意思是喜欢晚睡的人,通常是晚上十一点半或者半夜十二点才睡。
  Someone who goes to sleep very late, we call that person a night owl. 我们把经常晚睡的人叫作夜猫子。
  An owl is an animal that is normally awake and makes sounds at night. 夜猫子是一种晚上不睡觉还发出声音的动物。
  In English the sound would be "who, who," or "who, who," if it's a boy. 声音有点像英语里的“who, who”(呼!呼!),而雄性猫头鹰的叫声则像“who, who”(呜!呜!)。
  So, we have the night owl, and that is a term for somebody who stays up late. The opposite would be an early bird. 这就是夜猫子,专门用来形容爱熬夜的人。反义词就是早起鸟。
  An early, "early," bird. An early bird is someone who wakes up and gets up early in the morning. 早起鸟(early bird)是指早睡早起的人。
  A night owl will probably get up later in the morning. 夜猫子一般早上起得也很晚。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/esllucy/419173.html