向前一步:第33期 往桌前坐(1)(在线收听

 Chapter 2 Sit at the Table 第二章 往桌前坐

A few years ago, I hosted a meeting for Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner at Facebook. 几年前,我曾在脸谱网为美国财长蒂姆·盖特纳主持过一次会议。
We invited fifteen executives from across Silicon Valley for breakfast and a discussion about the economy. 我们邀请了15位来自硅谷的高管共进早餐,就经济问题展开了一场讨论。
Secretary Geithner arrived with four members of his staff, two senior and two more junior, and we all gathered in our one nice conference room. 盖特纳财长与4位随行人员抵达会场,其中两位职位较高,另两位职位较低,我们聚集在脸谱网公司一个非常不错的会议室里。
After the usual milling around, I encouraged the attendees to help themselves to the buffet and take a seat. 转悠了几圈之后,大家开始随意选取自助餐。
Our invited guests, mostly men, grabbed plates and food and sat down at the large conference table. 被邀请的客人中大多数是男性,他们抓过盘子、装上食物,然后坐到了最大的会议桌前。
Secretary Geithner's team, all women, took their food last and sat in chairs off to the side of the room. 财长的随行人员都是女性,她们最后取餐,然后在房间一侧坐下。
I motioned for the women to come sit at the table, waving them over so they would feel welcomed. 我示意她们坐到桌前来,并当着大家的面向她们招手示意,好让她们觉得自己是受欢迎的。
They demurred and remained in their seats. 她们犹豫半天,还是留在原来的座位上没有动。
The four women had every right to be at this meeting, but because of their seating choice, they seemed like spectators rather than participants. 这四位女性完全有权利参与会议,但对座位的选择却让她们看上去更喜欢旁观而非参与。
I knew I had to say something. 我知道我得说点什么。
So after the meeting, I pulled them aside to talk. 会后,我把这四位女性拉到一边,
I pointed out that they should have sat at the table even without an invitation, but when publicly welcomed, they most certainly should have joined. 我对她们说,即便没有受到邀请,她们也应该坐到桌前来;而当别人公开欢迎自己时,她们更应该主动参与。
At first, they seemed surprised, then they agreed. 听完这些话,起初她们有些惊讶,随后就表示认同了。
It was a watershed moment for me. 对我来说,这是一个转折点:
A moment when I witnessed how an internal barrier can alter women's behavior. 就在这一刻,我目睹了存在于女性内心的障碍;
A moment when I realized that in addition to facing institutional obstacles, women face a battle from within. 就在这一刻,我意识到除了习俗等外在障碍,女性也面临着内心的斗争。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/426193.html