冰与火之歌系列之《权力的游戏》第840期:第三十九章 凯特琳(10)(在线收听

   She saw the anger in his eyes at that, but it was gone as quick as it came, and suddenly he was a boy again. 听到这句话,她看到他眼里闪现怒意,但那火光稍现即逝,转眼间他又变回了大男孩。

  "I know," he said, abashed. "Are you... are you sending me back to Winterfell?" “我知道,”他困窘地说,“那你……你要把我送回临冬城去吗?”
  Catelyn sighed. "I should. You ought never have left. 凯特琳叹口气,“我应该要送你回去的,你原本就不该动身。
  Yet I dare not, not now. 可现在我不敢这么做,
  You have come too far. 你已经走到了这一步,
  Someday these lords will look to you as their liege. 有朝一日,你会成为这些诸侯的封君,
  If I pack you off now, like a child being sent to bed without his supper, they will remember, and laugh about it in their cups. 倘若我现在就这么把你给送回去,像把小孩子赶上床。不给他吃晚饭一样,他们便会牢牢记住,并在背后取笑。
  The day will come when you need them to respect you, even fear you a little. 将来你会需要他们的尊敬,甚至他们的畏惧,
  Laughter is poison to fear. 而嘲笑是惧怕的毒药,
  I will not do that to you, much as I might wish to keep you safe." 我不会对你这么做,虽然我一心只想保你平安。”
  You have my thanks, Mother, he said, his relief obvious beneath the formality. “母亲,谢谢你。”他说。脸上那层礼貌下的如释重负之情清晰可见。
  She reached across his table and touched his hair. 她把手伸到桌子对面摸摸他的头发。
  "You are my firstborn, Robb. I have only to look at you to remember the day you came into the world, red-faced and squalling." “罗柏,你是我第一个孩子,我只要看着你,就能想起你红着脸呱呱坠地的那一天。”
  He rose, clearly uncomfortable with her touch, and walked to the hearth. 他站起来,显然对于她的碰触感到有些不自在。他走到火炉边,
  Grey Wind rubbed his head against his leg. 灰风伸头摩擦着他的脚。
  "You know... about Father?" “你知道……父亲的事吗?”
  Yes. The reports of Robert's sudden death and Ned's fall had frightened Catelyn more than she could say, “知道。”劳勃猝死和奈德入狱的消息比任何事都更教凯特琳害怕,
  but she would not let her son see her fear. 但她不能让儿子发现自己的恐惧。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/byhqldyx/427818.html