向前一步:第65期 要成功 也要受欢迎(16)(在线收听

   Our culture needs to find a robust image of female success that is first, not male, and second, not a white woman on the phone, holding a crying baby. 由此看来,我们的文化需要为成功的女性找到一个固有的形象。首先,她不是女人脸男人身;其次,她不是一手拿着电话、一手搂着啼哭婴儿的白种女人。

  In fact, these "bad mother with a briefcase" images are so prevalent 事实上,这类“拿着公文包的差劲母亲”的形象在我们的文化中相当根深蒂固,
  that writer Jessica Valenti collected them in a funny and poignant blog post called "Sad White Babies with Mean Feminist Mommies." 以至杰西卡·瓦伦蒂搜罗了一大堆资料,写了篇既风趣幽默又让人心酸的博文,题目是《女权主义的坏脾气妈妈和可怜宝宝》。
  Until we can get there, I fear that women will continue to sacrifice being liked for being successful. 我担心在一个女性实现自己的目标之前,她会不断地为之付出不受欢迎的代价。
  When I first arrived at Facebook, a local blog devoted some serious pixels to trashing me. 当我最初来到脸谱网时,一个博主还颇费心思地撰写博文来批评我。
  They posted a picture of me and superimposed a gun into my hand. 他找了一张我的照片,给我手里添了一把枪,
  They wrote "liar" in big red letters across my face. 用大号的红色字母在我脸上写上了“骗子”两个字。
  Anonymous sources labeled me "two-faced" and "about to ruin Facebook forever." 还有匿名者给我贴上了“两面派”、“她会彻底毁了脸谱网”的标签。
  I cried. I lost some sleep. I worried that my career was over. 我为此大哭,甚至失眠,我担心自己的事业就此完蛋了。
  Then I told myself it didn't matter. 我安慰自己说不要在意这些恶意的评价,
  Then everyone else told me it didn't matter — which only reminded me that they were reading these awful comments too. 每个人也都告诉我不要在意——然而这只是提醒我他们也读到了这些可怕的评论。
  I fantasized about all sorts of rejoinders, but in the end, my best response was to ignore the attacks and do my job. 我设想了所有可能的反驳之后,发现最好的回应就是无视它们,好好工作。
  Arianna Huffington, founder of The Huffington Post, believes that learning to withstand criticism is a necessity for women. 《赫芬顿邮报》联合创始人阿里安娜·赫芬顿相信,学会接受别人的批评对女性来说是必要的一步。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/xqyb/429656.html