乔布斯传 第400期:微软契约(3)(在线收听

   When the leadership issue was partly resolved by Amelio's ouster, one of Jobs's first phone calls was to Gates. 当阿梅里奥的驱逐者部分地解决了领导权的问题后,乔布斯首先打电话的对象之一就是盖茨。

  Jobs recalled: I called up Bill and said, "I'm going to turn this thing around." 乔布斯回忆说:我给比尔打电话说,我会扭转这个局面。
  Bill always had a soft spot for Apple. We got him into the application software business. 比尔一直都喜欢苹果。是我们让他进入了应用软件业务领域。
  The first Microsoft apps were Excel and Word for the Mac. So I called him and said, "I need help." 微软的第一批应用软件就是为Mac开发的Excel和Word。所以我给他打电话说,“帮个忙。”
  Microsoft was walking over Apple's patents. 微软在侵犯苹果的专利。
  I said, "If we kept up our lawsuits, a few years from now we could win a billion-dollar patent suit. 我说:“如果我们继续打官司,几年以后我们可以赢得10亿美元的专利罚金。
  You know it, and I know it. But Apple's not going to survive that long if we're at war. 这一点你知我知。但是如果那样的话,苹果反而撑不到那个时候。
  I know that. So let's figure out how to settle this right away. 所以让我们想想如何立即解决这个争端。
  All I need is a commitment that Microsoft will keep developing for the Mac 我所需要的就是微软承诺继续为Mac开发软件,
  and an investment by Microsoft in Apple so it has a stake in our success." 并且微软要向苹果投资,这样我们的成功就事关微软的利益。
  When I recounted to him what Jobs said, Gates agreed it was accurate. 当我向盖茨复述乔布斯的话时,他确认内容非常准确。
  "We had a group of people who liked working on the Mac stuff, and we liked the Mac," Gates recalled. “我们有一群人愿意做Mac的东西,而且我们喜欢Mac。”盖茨回忆说。
  He had been negotiating with Amelio for six months, and the proposals kept getting longer and more complicated. 他已经跟阿梅里奥谈判了6个月,而提案越来越长、越来越复杂。
  "So Steve comes in and says, 'Hey, that deal is too complicated. “这时史蒂夫进来说,嗨,那个交易太复杂了。
  What I want is a simple deal. I want the commitment and I want an investment.' 我想要一个简单的。我想要个承诺,我想要笔投资。
  And so we put that together in just four weeks." 于是我们4个星期就搞定了。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/qbsz/431489.html