美国语文第五册 第8期:温柔的手(3)(在线收听) |
So unobtrusively that I scarce noticed the movement, the girl had drawn to her mother's side. 起初,我还真没注意到,悄无声息地,那姑娘仄到她妈妈身边, What she said to her I did not hear, for the brief words were uttered in a low voice; 那些话语很轻,我听不见她对母亲说了什么,
but I noticed, as she spoke, one small, fair hand rested on the woman's hand. 不过,我留意到,那姑娘说话的当口,她那小巧美丽的手已搭在那妇人的手上。
Was there magic in that touch? 这就是触摸的神奇?
The woman's repulsive aspect changed into one of kindly welcome, 那妇人反感冷淡的口吻转瞬变得柔和亲近,
and she said, "Yes, it's a long way to G—. I guess we can find a place for him." “是的,去G地的路还远着呢,我想,我们是得给他安排住下。”
Many times more during that evening, did I observe the magic power of that hand and voice—the one gentle yet potent as the other. 就在那个晚上,我确实留心到那双手、那个声音的神奇——温柔中透出强势力量。
On the next morning, breakfast being over, 次日清早,早饭后,
I was preparing to take my departure when my host informed me that if I would wait for half an hour 我打算告辞,男主人突然告诉我,如果我可以等半个小时的话,
he would give me a ride in his wagon to G—, as business required him to go there. 他可以捎带我去G地,他要赶着马车去G地办事。
I was very well pleased to accept of the invitation. 我自然非常高兴地接受了他的好意。
In due time, the farmer's wagon was driven into the road before the house, and I was invited to get in. 约定的时间到了,那农夫的马车来到屋前路上,我受邀上车后,
I noticed the horse as a rough-looking Canadian pony, with a certain air of stubborn endurance. 这才看见那匹驾辕的马驹,那马驹面部粗糙,属于加拿大品种,具有顽强忍耐的优良品性。
As the farmer took his seat by my side, the family came to the door to see us off. 农夫上了车,坐在我身边,全家人走出门来给我们送行。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431524.html |