美国语文第五册 第112期:慷慨的俄国农民(3)(在线收听) |
The following year Providence listened to the prayers of the poor, and the harvest was abundant. 第二年,上帝听到了穷人的祷告,田里庄稼收成丰足。 The peasants who had been saved from starving by Flor Silin now gathered around him. 那些得到菲洛·斯林救助幸免于难的农民们,再次聚集到他家门口。
"Behold," said they, the corn you lent us. You saved our wives and children. “斯林先生,你看看,”他们说,你送给我们粮食,救了我们的妻小。
We should have been famished but for you; may God reward you; 若不是你的仁爱之心,我们早已成为路边饿殍;但愿上帝报答你,
he only can; all we have to give is our corn and grateful thanks. 只有上帝才能做到,我们回报你的只是粮食和真心感谢。
"I want no corn at present, my good neighbors," said he; “好心的乡邻们,我现在根本不需要粮食,”菲洛说,
my harvest has exceeded all my expectations; for the rest, thank heaven: I have been but an humble instrument. 我的收成超过了最好期待,至于我所做的,感谢天上圣父,我不过是个卑微的践行者。
They urged him in vain. "No," said he, I shall not accept your corn. 他们反复劝说菲洛,终究还是徒劳。“乡亲们,别这样,”菲洛说,我不会接受你们的粮食。
If you have superfluities, share them among your poor neighbors, who, being unable to sow their fields last autumn, are still in want; 如果你们手中粮食富余,不如将粮食送给更为贫苦的乡邻。去年秋天,不少人无法播种,
let us assist them, my dear friends; the Almighty will bless us for it. 他们眼下仍需要粮食,我们为何不向他们伸出救援之手?朋友们,天主为此佑福我们。
"Yes," replied the grateful peasants, our poor neighbors shall have this corn. “好吧。”心怀感激的村民们异口同声地说。那些穷人需要帮助,
They shall know it is to you that they owe this timely succor, and join to teach their children the debt of gratitude due to your benevolent heart. 那些穷人需要帮助,他们肯定亦会知道,拯救之道在于众人援手,由于你们的仁爱之心,他们将教育后代学会如何感恩。
Silin raised his tearful eyes to heaven. An angel might have envied him his feelings. 菲洛说着,仰望天空,眼眶泪水充盈,或许,快乐的天使正欣羡地注视着他。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d5c/431670.html |