英语听书《白鲸记》第416期(在线收听) |
Hark ye yet again-the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. 你再听着...你这小不点儿的拆账者。朋友,一切眼所能见到的东西,都不过是硬纸板做的面具。 But in each event-in the living act, the undoubted deed--there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. 但是,在每一件事中...在人的行动中,在无可置疑的事实中...却有若干未被发现然而却是有根有据的事物,在无根无据的面具底下表现出它的面型来的。
If man will strike, strike through the mask! 如果人类会戳穿,戳穿那面具就好啦!
How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? 囚犯除了打穿墙壁怎能跑到外面来呢?
To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. 对我说来,那条白鲸就是那堵墙,那堵紧逼着我的墙。
Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. 有时候,我认为外边什么也没有。
But it's enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. 但是,这就够了。它使我作苦役;它尽给我增加份量;我在它身上看到一股凶暴的力量,有一种不可思议的恶念支持着那种力量。
That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. 那种不可思议的东西就是我所憎恨的主要的东西;不管白鲸是走狗,还是主犯,我都要向它泄恨雪仇。
Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me. 别对我说什么亵渎神明,朋友,如果太阳侮辱我,我也要戳穿它。
For could the sun do that, then could I do the other; since there is ever a sort of fair play herein, jealousy presiding over all creations. 因为如果太阳会这样做,我也会那样做;自从世上有一种光明正大的竞争以来,妒忌一直在主宰天地万物。
But not my master, man, is even that fair play. Who's over me? Truth hath no confines. 可是,朋友,甚至那种光明正大也控制不了我,那么,是谁在控制我?真理是没有边的。
Take off thine eye! more intolerable than fiends' glarings is a doltish stare! 别盯住我吧,比刻毒的瞪眼还要难受的就是一种傻里傻气的凝视! |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/434116.html |