英语听书《白鲸记》第683期(在线收听) |
If this be so, fancy the irresistibleness of that might, to which the most impalpable and destructive of all elements contributes. 如果这个臆测是对的话,那么,请想一想那种最难解而又最具有破坏力的种种原质所提供的那种无法抗拒的威力吧。 Now, mark. Unerringly impelling this dead, impregnable, uninjurable wall, and this most buoyant thing within; 现在,请注意,这堵无法抗拒。不会受伤的硬墙的这种真不二价的推进力,加上那里面的最有浮性的东西,
there swims behind it all a mass of tremendous life, only to be adequately estimated as piled wood is— by the cord; 它游起来的时候,身后拖的又是一个硕大无比、惊人的生命,那只有把它估量成是由绳索拖着的一大堆木头才较确切;
and all obedient to one volition, as the smallest insect. 而且也象最小的昆虫一般,一切都听从着一个意志的指挥。
So that when I shall hereafter detail to you all the specialities and concentrations of potency everywhere lurking in this expansive monster; 所以,等我以后详述这种庞大的巨兽那种无处不有威力的种种特色的时候,
when I shall show you some of his more inconsiderable braining feats; 等我告诉你它那些更为琐碎的有关剖脑的事迹的时候,
I trust you will have renounced all ignorant incredulity, and be ready to abide by this; 我相信你就会摒弃一切无知的怀疑,随时都会坚持这种看法了;
that though the Sperm Whale stove a passage through the Isthmus of Darien, and mixed the Atlantic with the Pacific, 即使听到抹香鲸会把德利英地峡的航路打通,把大西洋跟太平洋汇合起来了,
you would not elevate one hair of your eye-brow. 你也准会绝不动容。
For unless you own the whale, you are but a provincial and sentimentalist in Truth. 因为除非你承认了大鲸的价值,否则,在真理方面,你就不过是个思想狭隘者和感伤主义者而已。
But clear Truth is a thing for salamander giants only to encounter; 然而,既然懂得真理是只有那些不怕赴汤蹈火的巨人才办得到的事情;
how small the chances for the provincials then? 那么褊狭的人不就机会很少了吗?
What befell the weakling youth lifting the dread goddess's veil at Lais? 那个在舍易斯揭起可怕的女神的面纱的柔弱少年,他的结果是怎样啊? |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/434834.html |