绿野仙踪 第18期:救出稻草人(6)(在线收听) |
Dorothy was puzzled at this, for it sounded queer to hear a stuffed man speak, and to see him bow and walk along beside her. 多萝茜非常惊奇地听稻草人说话,看他鞠躬,还能在旁边自己走动。这着实是一件怪事。 "Who are you?" asked the Scarecrow when he had stretched himself and yawned. "And where are you going?" 当稻草人伸展了全身并打了几个呵欠后问:“你是谁,你到哪里去?”
"My name is Dorothy," said the girl, "and I am going to the Emerald City, to ask the Great Oz to send me back to Kansas." 我叫多萝茜,”小女孩子说,“我要去翡翠城,请求伟大奥芝的帮助,把我送回到堪萨斯州的家里。”
"Where is the Emerald City?" he inquired. "And who is Oz?" 他又问道:“翡翠城在哪里?奥芝是谁?”
"Why, don't you know?” she returned in surprise. “噢,你也没听说过吗?”她惊诧地回答他。
"No, indeed. I don't know anything. “没有,真的;我什么也不知道。
You see, I am stuffed, so I have no brains at all," he answered sadly. 你想我是用稻草做的,所以我没有脑子。”他伤心地回答。
"Oh," said Dorothy, "I'm awfully sorry for you." 多萝茜说:“我很难过。”
"Do you think," he asked, "if I go to the Emerald City with you, that Oz would gave me some brains?" 他继续问:“你以为,假如我们一起去翡翠城,那奥芝也许会给我一个脑子吧?”
"I can not tell," she returned, "but you may come with me, if you like. “我无法断定,”她回答道;“如果你愿意,可以和我一块儿去。
If Oz will not give you any brains, you will be no worse off than you are now." 即使奥芝不给你脑子,你也不会过得比现在更糟。”
"That is true," said the Scarecrow. “确实是这样,”稻草人说。
"You see," he continued confidentially, "I don't mind my legs and arms and body being stuffed, because I cannot get hurt. “你不知道,”他表示信任她,继续说着:“我的一双腿,一双手和身体都是用稻草填塞的,我并不在意。
If anyone treads on my toes or sticks a pin into me, it doesn't matter, for I can't feel it. 因为无论谁怎样踩我的脚趾头,或者拿针刺着我的身体,都无所谓,我感受不到的。
But I do not want people to call me a fool, and if my head stays with straw instead of with brains, as yours is, how am I ever to know anything?" 然而我无法忍受大家叫我蠢货,如果我的脑壳里放进脑子,我就会像你一样,可以知道任何事情了!” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shuchong1j/wizardofoz/437172.html |