绿野仙踪 第23期:穿过森林(4)(在线收听

 I felt sad at this, for it showed I was not such a good Scarecrow after all; but the old crow comforted me, saying, 我当然为此发愁,因为这毕竟说明我不是一个尽职的稻草人;然而那老乌鸦安慰我说:

'If you only had brains in your head you would be as good a man as any of them, and a better man than some of them. “假如在你的脑壳里有了脑子,你就会像那些农夫一样好,甚至比他们更好。
Brains are the only things worth having in this world, no matter whether one is a crow or a man.' 在这个世界上不论是乌鸦还是人类,脑子都是最有价值的东西。”
After the crows had gone I thought this over, and decided I would try hard to get some brains. “乌鸦飞走了以后,我一直思考着这个问题,决心努力取得一个脑子。
By good luck, you came alone and pulled me off the stake,  我还算走运,你把我从火刑柱上解救下来,
and from what you say I am sure the Great Oz will give me brains as soon as we get to the Emerald City." 从你的说法来看,只要我们到了翡翠城,我相信伟大的奥芝会赐给我一个脑子。”
"I hope so," said Dorothy earnestly, "since you seem anxious to have them." “但愿如此,”多萝茜诚恳地说,“因为你非常渴望也非常需要它。”
"Oh, yes, I am anxious," returned the Scarecrow. “啊,是的;我渴望得到它,”稻草人回答道。
“It is such an uncomfortable feeling to know one is a fool." “知道自己是一个笨蛋,感觉真是不愉快啊!”
"Well," said the girl."let us go." And she handed the basket to the Scarecrow. 小女孩子说:“对,我们继续走吧。”她把篮子交给了稻草人。
There were no fences at all by the roadside now, and the land was rough and untilled. 路的两边没有围墙了,路面也高低不平。
Toward evening they came to a great forest,  黄昏的时候,他们走进了一座大森林里,
where the trees grew so big and close together that their branches met over the road of yellow brick. 树木长得十分高大,树干紧挨着,枝叶互相叉错着,完全遮盖了远处的黄砖路。
It was almost dark under the trees, for the branches shut out the daylight;  因为浓密的枝叶隔绝了阳光,使得森林显得很黑,
but the travelers did not stop, and went on into the forest. 然而他们并不停步,一直走进森林中去。
"If this road goes in, it must come out,” said the Scarecrow,  “如果沿着这条路走,一定会走出森林去的,”稻草人说,
" and as the Emerald City is at the other end of the road, we must go wherever it leads us." “如果翡翠城是在路的尽头,我们必须按照这条道路所指引的方向走去。”
"Anyone would know that," said Dorothy. 多萝茜说:“那是谁都明白的。”
"Certainly; that is why I know it," returned the Scarecrow. “当然,我也知道它,”稻草人回答。
"If it required brains to figure it out, I never should have said it." “如果要用脑子计算,我就说不出来。”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shuchong1j/wizardofoz/437177.html