绿野仙踪 第30期:救出铁皮人(6)(在线收听

 and when I was chopping away at my best one day,  由于我很想尽快建好房子迎娶我的新娘,

for I was anxious to get the new house and my wife as soon as possible,  所以我很用力地砍树,
the axe slipped all at once and cut off my left leg. 可那斧头却立刻滑了出去砍掉了我的左腿。”
This at first seemed a great misfortune,  起初这似乎是一个很大的不幸,
for I knew a one-legged man could not do very well as a wood-chopper. 因为我知道仅有一条腿的人砍树会非常不方便。
So I went to a tinsmith and had him make me a new leg out of tin. 但我到一个铁皮匠那里去,请他装一条外面包着铁皮的新腿,
The leg worked very well, once I was used to it. 铁腿装得很成功,没多久我又能自如做工作了。
But my action angered the Wicked Witch of the East,  但是我的举动惹怒了东方的恶女巫;
for she had promised the old woman I should not marry the pretty Munchkin girl. 因为她答应那老妇人阻止我迎娶漂亮的芒奇金女孩。
When I began chopping again, my axe slipped and cut off my right leg. 当我开始再砍树时,斧头又滑过去砍掉了我的右腿。
Again I went to the tinsmith, and again he made me a leg out of tin. 我又去找了铁匠,装了一条外面包着铁皮的脚。
After this the enchanted axe cut off my arms, one after the other;  从此以后,这把被施了妖术的斧头,又一次又一次砍掉了我的左右手臂,
but, nothing daunted, I had them replaced with tin ones. 但是我不灰心,不丧气,我装上了铁臂。
The Wicked Witch then made the axe slipped and cut off my head, and at first I thought that was the end of me. 于是恶女巫又使那斧头滑出去砍掉了我的头,我想一切都结束了。
But the tinsmith happened to come along, and he made me a new head out of tin. 然而这个铁匠发现了我,他替我装了一个铁头。”
I thought I had beaten the Wicked Witch then, and work harder than ever;  我仍辛苦地工作,充满信心地想打败那个女巫;
but I little knew how cruel my enemy could be. 然而没想到我的仇敌却如此残酷。
She thought of a new way to kill my love for the beautiful Munchkin maiden,  她想出了一个新方法来斩掉我对美貌的芒奇金女子的爱,
and made my axe slip again, so that it cut right through my body, splitting me into two halves. 即让我的斧头再滑出去时,恰好划过我的身体把我劈成两半。
Once more the tinsmith came to my help and made me a body of tin,  这个铁皮匠替我装了一个铁皮的身体,
fastening my tin arms and legs and head to it, by means of joints,  通过这些关节使我身体的每一部分紧密联接,
so that I could move around as well as ever. 让我能够像以前一样自由移动。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shuchong1j/wizardofoz/437184.html