英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第29期:打开的书(10)(在线收听

 "Phil travels a lot. He plays ball for a living." I half-smiled.  "菲尔老东奔西跑。他以打球为生。"我似笑非笑地说道。

"Have I heard of him?" he asked, smiling in response.  "我听说过他吗?"他问,回了我一个微笑。
"Probably not. He doesn't play well.  "很可能没有。他的球打得不好。
Strictly minor league. He moves around a lot."  严格说来还在小联盟 混。他老是在东奔西跑的。"
"And your mother sent you here so that she could travel with him."  "所以你母亲就要你到这里来了,这样她就可以跟着到处跑了。"
He said it as an assumption again, not a question.  他又在主观臆断,而不是在问。
My chin raised a fraction.  我稍稍仰起头:
"No, she did not send me here. I sent myself."  "不,不是她要我来这里的,是我自己要来的。"
His eyebrows knit together.  他的两簇眉毛挤到了一起。
"I don't understand," he admitted, and he seemed unnecessarily frustrated by that fact.  "我不明白。"他承认道,而且他似乎对这个事实感到很失望,其实大可不必。
I sighed. Why was I explaining this to him?  我叹了一口气。我干吗要跟他说这些呢?
He continued to stare at me with obvious curiosity.  他仍旧目不转睛地盯着我,眼里充满了明显的好奇。
"She stayed with me at first, but she missed him.  我妈妈一开始一直和我一起生活,但是她也想念菲尔,
It made her unhappy...  这让她并不快乐……
so I decided it was time to spend some quality time with Charlie." 所以我决定是该跟查理好好袋一段时间,增进增进感情的时候了。"
My voice was glum by the time I finished.  说完这句话的时候,我的声音已经有点儿凄凉了。
"But now you're unhappy," he pointed out.  "可现在你不快乐,"他指出。
"And?" I challenged.  "然后呢?"我向他事事都擅自做判断提出挑战。
"That doesn't seem fair."  "这似乎不公平。"
He shrugged, but his eyes were still intense.  他耸了耸肩,但他的眼神并没轻松下来。
I laughed without humor.  我哈哈一笑,一点儿都不幽默:
"Hasn't anyone ever told you? Life isn't fair."  "难道没人告诉过你吗?生活本来就是不公平的。"
"I believe I have heard that somewhere before," he agreed dryly.  "我相信以前是在什么地方听说过。"他干巴巴地说道。
"So that's all," I insisted, wondering why he was still staring at me that way.  "这不就结了嘛。"我坚持道,心里纳闷他干吗还是那样盯着我。
His gaze became appraising.  他的凝视变成了评判的眼神。
"You put on a good show," he said slowly.  "你的戏演得还真不错呢,"他一字一顿地说,
"But I'd be willing to bet that you're suffering more than you let anyone see."  "但是我倒很愿意打个赌,赌你内心的痛苦比你流露出来的要多。"
I grimaced at him, resisting the impulse to stick out my tongue like a five-year-old, and looked away.  我冲他做了个鬼脸,忍住了像5岁的小孩那样吐舌头的冲动,把脸扭向了一边。
"Am I wrong?"  "我说错了吗?"
I tried to ignore him.  我努力不去理他。
"I didn't think so," he murmured smugly.  "我可不这么认为哟,"他自鸣得意地说。
"Why does it matter to you?" I asked, irritated.  "这关你什么事呢?"我生气地问道。
I kept my eyes away, watching the teacher make his rounds.  我眼睛仍然望在一边,看着老师巡回检查。
"That's a very good question," he muttered, so quietly that I wondered if he was talking to himself.  "这个问题问得非常好,"他低声说道,声音小得我还以为他是在跟自己说话呢。
However, after a few seconds of silence, I decided that was the only answer I was going to get.  不过,沉默了几秒钟之后,我确定那是我会得到的惟一答案了。
I sighed, scowling at the blackboard.  我叹了一口气,生气地瞪着黑板。
"Am I annoying you?" he asked.  "是不是我惹你生气了?"他问。
He sounded amused.  他听上去很开心。
I glanced at him without thinking… and told the truth again.  我想都没想,就瞥了他一眼……
"Not exactly. I'm more annoyed at myself.  并且又一次告诉了他实话:"不全是你惹的。我更生我自己的气。
My face is so easy to read — my mother always calls me her open book." I frowned.  我这张脸太不争气了,太容易看透了——我母亲总说我是她打开的书。"我皱起了眉头。
"On the contrary, I find you very difficult to read."  "恰恰相反,我发现你这本书太难读懂了。"
Despite everything that I'd said and he'd guessed, he sounded like he meant it.  尽管我什么都说了,他也什么都猜对了,但听他的口气,好像说的是真心话。
"You must be a good reader then," I replied.  "那么,你肯定是个很会看书的人,"我回答说。
"Usually." He smiled widely, flashing a set of perfect, ultrawhite teeth.  "八九不离十吧。"他咧嘴一笑,露出了一口完美无缺、超白的牙齿。
Mr. Banner called the class to order then, and I turned with relief to listen.  班纳先生这时让全班同学安静下来了,我舒了一口气,转过头来听讲。
I was in disbelief that I'd just explained my dreary life to this bizarre, beautiful boy who may or may not despise me. 我简直不相信自己刚才把我枯燥无味的生活说给这个举止奇异、漂亮的男孩子听了,他可能会看不起我,也可能不会。
He'd seemed engrossed in our conversation, but now I could see, from the corner of my eye,  我们聊天时他似乎全神贯注,可此刻,通过眼角的余光, 
that he was leaning away from me again, his hands gripping the edge of the table with unmistakable tension. 我可以看见他又歪向一边去了,他的双手抓着桌子的边缘,显而易见,紧张得不行。 
I tried to appear attentive as Mr. Banner illustrated, with transparencies on the overhead projector,  班纳先生用投影仪上的透明幻灯片讲解时,我努力摆出一副专心听讲的样子,
what I had seen without difficulty through the microscope.  虽然讲解的都是那些我用显微镜不费吹灰之力看到过的东西。
But my thoughts were unmanageable.   可我的思绪却硬是不听使唤。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437514.html