英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第31期:第三章 现象(1)(在线收听) |
Chapter 3. PHENOMENON 第三章 3. 现象 When I opened my eyes in the morning, something was different. 早上我睁开眼睛的时候,有什么地方不一样了。
It was the light. 是光线。
It was still the gray-green light of a cloudy day in the forest, but it was clearer somehow. 虽然依旧是阴天森林里的那种灰绿色的光线,但不知怎么的,的确明亮一些了。
I realized there was no fog veiling my window. 我意识到是没有雾罩着我的窗户了。
I jumped up to look outside, and then groaned in horror. 我从床上跳下来,往外一看,不禁吓得哼了一声。
A fine layer of snow covered the yard, dusted the top of my truck, and whitened the road. 院子里覆盖了一层薄雪,我的车顶披上了银装,道路铺上了白色的地毯。
But that wasn't the worst part. 但这还不是最糟糕的。
All the rain from yesterday had frozen solid — coating the needles on the trees in fantastic, gorgeous patterns, and making the driveway a deadly ice slick. 昨天下的雨全都冻成了冰——给树上的针叶穿上奇异瑰丽的衣衫,将我们家的私人车道变成了一块滑溜溜的冰面。
I had enough trouble not falling down when the ground was dry; 地面干燥时,我都要克服许多困难才不至于摔跤;
it might be safer for me to go back to bed now. 此刻也许回到床上去睡觉对我更安全。
Charlie had left for work before I got downstairs. 我还没下楼,查理就上班去了。
In a lot of ways, living with Charlie was like having my own place, and I found myself reveling in the aloneness instead of being lonely. 从许多方面来说,跟查理住在一起就像有了我自己的空间一样,而且我发现,一个人袋着的时候很陶醉,而不是孤独。
I threw down a quick bowl of cereal and some orange juice from the carton. 我三口两口,灌下了一碗麦片粥和盒子里的一些橙汁。
I felt excited to go to school, and that scared me. 一想到上学我就兴奋,同时又令我害怕。
I knew it wasn't the stimulating learning environment I was anticipating, or seeing my new set of friends. 我知道我期盼的不是什么令人刺激的学习环境,也不是见到我那一群新朋友。
If I was being honest with myself, I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Edward Cullen. 如果诚实的面对自己内心真正想法的话,我知道自己急着去学校是因为可以见到爱德华·卡伦。
And that was very, very stupid. 而这,真是非常,非常的愚蠢。
I should be avoiding him entirely after my brainless and embarrassing babbling yesterday. 在昨天那样不经大脑思考地,令人窘困地胡说一气之后,按说我本来应该躲着他才是。
And I was suspicious of him; why should he lie about his eyes? 而且我对他一直心存疑虑;他为什么要在自己的眼睛这个问题上撒谎?
I was still frightened of the hostility I sometimes felt emanating from him, and I was still tongue-tied whenever I pictured his perfect face. 我有时感到他身上散发着一种敌意,对这种敌意,我依然很害怕,而且每当我想象他那张完美无缺的脸时,我依然会张口结舌。
I was well aware that my league and his league were spheres that did not touch. 我清楚地意识到,我们和他们是不同的群体,我们之间不会有交集,
So I shouldn't be at all anxious to see him today. 所以今天完全不应该急切地想见他。
It took every ounce of my concentration to make it down the icy brick driveway alive. 我集中了十二分的注意力才活着走完了那条冰砖似的私人车道。
I almost lost my balance when I finally got to the truck, but I managed to cling to the side mirror and save myself. 费了九牛二虎之力,好不容易到了车跟前时,我差点儿失去了重心,好在我设法紧紧抓住了倒车镜,才没有摔倒。
Clearly, today was going to be nightmarish. 显然,今天将是梦魇般的一天。
Driving to school, I distracted myself from my fear of falling and my unwanted speculations about Edward Cullen by thinking about Mike and Eric, and the obvious difference in how teenage boys responded to me here. 开车去学校的路上,我竭力去想迈克和埃里克,以及这里十几岁的男孩子对我的明显不同的反应,以此来分散注意力,使自己别老提心吊胆地怕摔倒和对爱德华·卡伦的那些没有用的胡乱推测。
I was sure I looked exactly the same as I had in Phoenix. 我非常清楚我的样子跟在凤凰城时完全一样。
Maybe it was just that the boys back home had watched me pass slowly through all the awkward phases of adolescence and still thought of me that way. 也许只是家那边的男孩子目睹了我度过自己那令人难堪的整个青春发育阶段的漫长过程,而且还在用老眼光看我罢了。
Perhaps it was because I was a novelty here, where novelties were few and far between. 也许是因为在这里我是初来乍到,大家觉得比较新奇,而这里这样的新奇并不多,而且十年八年都难得碰上一回。
Possibly my crippling clumsiness was seen as endearing rather than pathetic, casting me as a damsel in distress. 也说不定是大家觉得我笨手笨脚的,挺可爱而不是挺可怜,把我看成了一个需要保护的小姑娘。
Whatever the reason, Mike's puppy dog behavior and Eric's apparent rivalry with him were disconcerting. 无论是出于什么原因,迈克小狗般的举止和埃里克明显地跟他较着劲儿弄得我很不安。
I wasn't sure if I didn't prefer being ignored. 我不知道自己是不是更喜欢被人忽略。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437516.html |