英语听书《海底两万里》第225期 第17章 海底森林(6)(在线收听

   I say 150 meters, although I had no instruments for estimating this distance.  我说我们是在一百五十米的深度;虽然没有什么器械可以让我测量,

  But I knew that the sun's rays, even in the clearest seas, could reach no deeper.  但我知道,即最清澈的海水,阳光也不能再往下照了。
  So at precisely this point the darkness became profound.  正是在这时候,周围变得漆黑。
  Not a single object was visible past ten paces.  在十步外什么也看不见。
  Consequently, I had begun to grope my way when suddenly I saw the glow of an intense white light.  所以我只能摸索着走,这时我看见一道相当明亮的白光忽然闪出来。
  Captain Nemo had just activated his electric device.  原来是尼摩船长使用他的电光机器。
  His companion did likewise. Conseil and I followed suit.  他的同伴照他那样做。康塞尔和我也学着他们的榜样。
  By turning a switch,  我转动螺丝钉,
  I established contact between the induction coil and the glass spiral, and the sea, lit up by our four lanterns, was illuminated for a radius of twenty-five meters. 使电磁铁跟曲玻璃管接通,灯亮了,海中有我们四盏探照灯的照射,周围二十五米内都明亮起来。
  Captain Nemo continued to plummet into the dark depths of this forest, whose shrubbery grew ever more sparse.  尼摩船长继续走人森林中最幽深的地方,沿途树木渐渐稀少。
  I observed that vegetable life was disappearing more quickly than animal life.  我注意到,在海底,植物界要比动物界消失得早些。
  The open-sea plants had already left behind the increasingly arid seafloor, where a prodigious number of animals were still swarming:  海产植物虽然已经放弃了这些变为贫瘠的土地,但数量很多的动物、植虫动物、
  zoophytes, articulates, mollusks, and fish. 节肢动物、软体动物和鱼类仍然到处皆是。
  While we were walking, I thought the lights of our Ruhmkorff devices would automatically attract some inhabitants of these dark strata.  我一边走一边想,我们带的兰可夫灯的灯光必然要引起那些沉黑的海底下居民的注意,齐集前来。
  But if they did approach us, at least they kept at a distance regrettable from the hunter's standpoint.  可是,它们虽然前来,但总是留在猎人力量不可及,距离相当远的地方。
  Several times I saw Captain Nemo stop and take aim with his rifle;  好几次,我看见尼摩船长停步,瞄准他的枪,
  then, after sighting down its barrel for a few seconds, he would straighten up and resume his walk. 但经过一些时候的观察后,他又把枪放下,再向前行。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/439037.html