月亮和六便士 第二十二章(2)(在线收听) |
Sometimes he embarrassed his wife, 他的这种态度有时候叫他妻子感到很尴尬。 and the only time I saw her put out of countenance was when he insisted on telling me that he had taken a purge, 我见到她恼羞成怒只有一次。那次施特略夫非要告诉我他服泻药的事不可,
and went into somewhat realistic details on the subject. 而且说得绘声绘色。
The perfect seriousness with which he narrated his misfortunes convulsed me with laughter, and this added to Mrs. Stroeve's irritation. 在他给我描述这件灾祸时,他的脸色一本正经,结果我差点儿笑破了肚皮,而施特略夫太太则窘得无地自容,终于冒起火来。
You seem to like making a fool of yourself, she said. “你好象愿意把自己当个傻瓜似的,”她说。
His round eyes grew rounder still, and his brow puckered in dismay as he saw that she was angry. 当他看到自己的老婆真的生起气来的时候,他的一对圆眼睛瞪得更圆了,眉毛也不知所措地皱了起来。
Sweetheart, have I vexed you? “亲爱的,你生我的气了吗?
I'll never take another. 我再也不吃泻药了。
It was only because I was bilious. 这都是因为我肝火太旺的缘故。
I lead a sedentary life. 我整天坐着不动。
I don't take enough exercise. 我的运动不够。
For three days I hadn't... For goodness sake, hold your tongue, she interrupted, tears of annoyance in her eyes. 我有三天没有……”“老天啊,你还不闭嘴!”她打断了他的话,因为气恼而迸出眼泪来。
His face fell, and he pouted his lips like a scolded child. 他的脸耷拉下来,象是个挨了训的孩子似地撅起嘴来。
He gave me a look of appeal, so that I might put things right, but, unable to control myself, I shook with helpless laughter. 他向我递了个恳求的眼色,希望我替他打个圆场,可是我却无法控制自己,笑得直不起腰来。
We went one day to the picture-dealer in whose shop Stroeve thought he could show me at least two or three of Strickland's pictures, 有一天我们一起到一个画商那里去,施特略夫认为他至少可以让我看到两三张思特里克兰德的画。
but when we arrived were told that Strickland himself had taken them away. 但是在我们到了那里以后,画商却告诉我们,思特里克兰德已经把画取走了。
The dealer did not know why. 画商也不知道他为什么要这样做。
But don't imagine to yourself that I make myself bad blood on that account. “不要认为我为这件事感到恼火。
I took them to oblige Monsieur Stroeve, and I said I would sell them if I could. 我接受他的画都是看在施特略夫先生的面上。我告诉他我尽量替他卖。
But really— He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm interested in the young men, but voyons, you yourself, Monsieur Stroeve, you don't think there's any talent there." 但是说真的——”他耸了耸肩膀。“我对年轻人是有兴趣的,可是施待略夫先生,你自己也知道,你也并不认为他们中有什么天才。” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439591.html |