月亮和六便士 第二十九章(4)(在线收听) |
I wanted to kill him, and I only made a fool of myself. “我要杀死他,结果却徒然使自己出丑。” He was silent for a long time, and then he said what I knew was in his mind. 他沉默了半晌,最后他说出的我知道是郁积在他心里的话。
If I'd only waited, perhaps it would have gone all right. “要是我多等些日子,也许就不会发生什么事了。
I shouldn't have been so impatient. 我真不应该这么耐不住性子。
Oh, poor child, what have I driven her to? 啊,可怜的孩子,是我把她逼到这一地步啊!”
I shrugged my shoulders, but did not speak. 我耸了耸肩膀,但是没有说什么。
I had no sympathy for Blanche Stroeve, but knew that it would only pain poor Dirk if I told him exactly what I thought of her. 我对勃朗什·施特略夫一点也不同情,但是我知道,如果我把实话告诉可怜的戴尔克,只会增加他的痛苦。
He had reached that stage of exhaustion when he could not stop talking. He went over again every word of the scene. 这时候他已经疲惫不堪,无力控制自己,所以只顾滔滔不绝地说下去。他把那场风波中每人讲的话又重复了一遍。
Now something occurred to him that he had not told me before; 他一会儿想起一件忘记了告诉我的事,
now he discussed what he ought to have said instead of what he did say; then he lamented his blindness. 一会儿又同我讨论起他当时该说这句话,而不该说那句话。
He regretted that he had done this, and blamed himself that he had omitted the other. 他为自己看不清问题感到万分痛心,懊悔自己做了某件事,责怪自己没有做哪一件。
It grew later and later, and at last I was as tired as he. 夜渐渐深了,最后我也同他一样疲劳不堪了。
What are you going to do now? I said finally. “你现在准备做什么?”我最后问他说。
What can I do? I shall wait till she sends for me. “我能够做什么?我只能等着她招呼我回去。”
Why don't you go away for a bit? “为什么你不到外地去走走呢?”
No, no; I must be at hand when she wants me. “不,不成。如果她需要,我一定要叫她能够找到我。”
For the present he seemed quite lost. He had made no plans. 他对于眼前该怎么办似乎一点主意也没有。他没有什么计划。
When I suggested that he should go to bed he said he could not sleep; he wanted to go out and walk about the streets till day. 最后我建议他该去睡会儿觉,他说他睡不着,他要到外面去走个通宵。
He was evidently in no state to be left alone. 当然,在这种情况下我决不能丢下他不管。
I persuaded him to stay the night with me, and I put him into my own bed. 我劝他在我这里过夜,我把他安置在我的床上。
I had a divan in my sitting-room, and could very well sleep on that. 在起居间里我还有一只长沙发,我可以睡在那上面。
He was by now so worn out that he could not resist my firmness. 他这时已经精疲力竭,所以还是依着我的主意上了床。
I gave him a sufficient dose of veronal to insure his unconsciousness for several hours. 我给他服了一些佛罗那,叫他可以人事不省地好好睡几个钟头觉。
I thought that was the best service I could render him. 我想这是我能够给他的最大的帮助了。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439766.html |