月亮和六便士 第三十二章(1)(在线收听) |
Chapter 32 第三十二章 I did not see Strickland for several weeks. 我有好几个星期没有见到思特里克兰德。
I was disgusted with him, and if I had had an opportunity should have been glad to tell him so, but I saw no object in seeking him out for the purpose. 我非常厌恶他,如果有机会的话,我会当着面把我对他的看法告诉他,但是我也犯不上为了这件事特地到处去找他。
I am a little shy of any assumption of moral indignation; 我不太愿意摆出一副义愤填膺的架势来,
there is always in it an element of self-satisfaction which makes it awkward to anyone who has a sense of humour. 这里面总有某种自鸣得意的成分,会叫一个有幽默感的人觉得你在装腔作势。
It requires a very lively passion to steel me to my own ridicule. 除非我真的动起火来,我是不肯让别人拿自己当笑话看的。
There was a sardonic sincerity in Strickland which made me sensitive to anything that might suggest a pose. 思特里克兰德惯会讽刺挖苦、不讲情面,在他面前我就更要小心戒备,绝不能让他觉得我是在故作姿态。
But one evening when I was passing along the Avenue de Clichy in front of the cafe which Strickland frequented and which I now avoided, I ran straight into him. 但是一天晚上,正当我经过克利舍路一家咖啡馆门前的时候(我知道这是思特里克兰德经常来的一家咖啡馆,最近一段时间我总是尽量躲着这个地方),我却和思特里克兰德撞了个满怀。
He was accompanied by Blanche Stroeve, and they were just going to Strickland's favourite corner. 勃朗什·施特略夫同他在一起,两人正在走向思特里克兰德最喜欢坐的一个角落去。
Where the devil have you been all this time? said he. "I thought you must be away." “你这么多天跑到哪儿去了?”他问我说,“我还以为你到外地去了呢。”
His cordiality was proof that he knew I had no wish to speak to him. 他对我这样殷勤正表示他知道得很清楚,我不愿意理他。
He was not a man with whom it was worth while wasting politeness. 但是你对思特里克兰德这种人根本不需要讲客套。
No, I said; "I haven't been away." “没有,”我直截了当地说,“我没有到外地去。”
Why haven't you been here? “为什么老没到这儿来了?”
There are more cafes in Paris than one, at which to trifle away an idle hour. “巴黎的咖啡馆不是只此一家,在哪儿不能消磨时间啊?”
Blanche then held out her hand and bade me good-evening. 勃朗什这时伸出手来同我打招呼。
I do not know why I had expected her to be somehow changed; 不知道为什么我本来认为她的样子一定会发生一些变化,但是我现在看到她仍然是老样子: |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439776.html |