月亮和六便士 第三十二章(2)(在线收听

 she wore the same gray dress that she wore so often, neat and becoming,  穿的是过去经常穿的一件灰衣服,前额光洁明净,

and her brow was as candid, her eyes as untroubled, as when I had been used to see her occupied with her household duties in the studio. 眼睛里没有一丝忧虑和烦恼,正象我过去看到她在施特略夫画室里操持家务时一模一样。
Come and have a game of chess, said Strickland. “来下盘棋吧。”思特里克兰德说。
I do not know why at the moment I could think of no excuse. 我不懂为什么当时我会没想出一个借口回绝了他。
I followed them rather sulkily to the table at which Strickland always sat, and he called for the board and the chessmen. 我怀着一肚子闷气跟在他们后面,走到思特里克兰德的老座位前边。他叫侍者取来了棋盘和棋子。
They both took the situation so much as a matter of course that I felt it absurd to do otherwise. 他们两个人对这次不期而遇一点也没有大惊小怪,我自然也只能装出一副若无其事的样子,不然就显得我太不通人情了。
Mrs. Stroeve watched the game with inscrutable face. 施特略夫太太看着我们下棋,从她脸上的表情丝毫也猜不透她心里想的是什么。
She was silent, but she had always been silent. 她什么话也没说,但她根本就不是爱说话的人。
I looked at her mouth for an expression that could give me a clue to what she felt; 我看着她的嘴,希望看到一个能使我猜测出她真实感情的神态;
I watched her eyes for some tell-tale flash, some hint of dismay or bitterness; 我打量着她的眼睛,寻找某种泄露她内心隐秘的闪光,表示惶惑或者痛苦的眼神;
I scanned her brow for any passing line that might indicate a settling emotion. 我打量着她的前额,看那上面会不会偶然出现一个皱纹,告诉我她正在衰减的热情。
Her face was a mask that told nothing. 但她的面孔宛如一副面具,我在那上面丝毫也看不出她的真实思想。
Her hands lay on her lap motionless, one in the other loosely clasped. 她的双手一动不动地摆在膝头上,一只手松松地握着另一只。
I knew from what I had heard that she was a woman of violent passions; 从我所听到的一些事,我知道她的性情很暴烈,
and that injurious blow that she had given Dirk, the man who had loved her so devotedly, betrayed a sudden temper and a horrid cruelty. 戴尔克那么全心全意地爱着她,她却狠狠地打了他一巴掌,这说明了她翻脸无情,心肠非常冷酷。
She had abandoned the safe shelter of her husband's protection and the comfortable ease of a well-provided establishment  她抛弃了自己丈夫庇护下的安乐窝,抛弃了温饱舒适的优裕生活,
for what she could not but see was an extreme hazard. 甘愿承担她自己也看得非常分明的风险患难。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439777.html