月亮和六便士 第四十一章(7)(在线收听) |
I was silent for a while. 我沉默了一会儿。 "What did you expect her to do when you left her?" “你离开她以后想到她要做什么吗?”
"She could have gone back to Stroeve," he said irritably. "He was ready to take her." “她满可以回到施特略夫身边去的,”他气冲冲地说,“施特略夫巴不得她回去的。”
"You're inhuman," I answered. “你不通人性,”我回答说。
"It's as useless to talk to you about these things as to describe colours to a man who was born blind." “同你谈这些事一点用也没有,就象跟瞎子形容颜色一样。”
He stopped in front of my chair, and stood looking down at me with an expression in which I read a contemptuous amazement. 他在我的椅子前边站住,低下头来望着我;我看出来他脸上的表情满含轻蔑,又充满了惊诧。
"Do you really care a twopenny damn if Blanche Stroeve is alive or dead?" “勃朗什·施特略夫活着也好,死了也好,难道你真的那么关心吗?”
I thought over his question, for I wanted to answer it truthfully, at all events to my soul. 我想了想他提出的这个问题,因为我想真实地回答,无论如何一定要是我的真实思想。
"It may be a lack of sympathy in myself if it does not make any great difference to me that she is dead. “如果说她死了对我一点儿也无所谓,那我也未免太没有人心了。
Life had a great deal to offer her. 生活能够给她的东西很多,
I think it's terrible that she should have been deprived of it in that cruel way, and I am ashamed because I do not really care." 她这样残酷地被剥夺去生命,我认为是一件非常可怕的事。但是我也觉得很惭愧,因为说实在的,我并不太关心。”
"You have not the courage of your convictions. “你没有勇气坦白承认你真正的思想。
Life has no value. 生命并没有什么价值。
Blanche Stroeve didn't commit suicide because I left her, but because she was a foolish and unbalanced woman. 勃朗什·施特略夫自杀并不是因为我抛弃了她,而是因为她太傻,因为她精神不健全。
But we've talked about her quite enough; she was an entirely unimportant person. 但是咱们谈论她已经够多的了,她实在是个一点也不重要的角色。
Come, and I'll show you my pictures." 来吧,我让你看看我的画。” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/439833.html |