月亮和六便士 第五十七章(3)(在线收听) |
Dr. Coutras shrugged his shoulders and smiled. 库特拉斯医生耸了一下肩膀,脸上露出笑容。 "You will laugh at me. “你会笑我的。
I am a materialist, and I am a gross, fat man—Falstaff, eh?—the lyrical mode does not become me. 我是个实利主义者,我生得又蠢又胖——有点儿象福斯塔夫(莎士比亚戏剧《亨利四世》中人物,身体肥胖,喜爱吹牛),对不对?——抒情诗的感情对我是很不合适的。
I make myself ridiculous. 我在惹人发笑。
But I have never seen painting which made so deep an impression upon me. 但是我真的还从来没有看过哪幅画给我留下这么深的印象。
Tenez, I had just the same feeling as when I went to the Sistine Chapel in Rome. 说老实话,我看这幅画时的心情,就象我进了罗马塞斯廷小教堂一样。
There too I was awed by the greatness of the man who had painted that ceiling. 在那里我也是感到在天花板上绘画的那个画家非常伟大,又敬佩又畏服。
It was genius, and it was stupendous and overwhelming. 那真是天才的画,气势磅礴,叫人感到头晕目眩。
I felt small and insignificant. 在这样伟大的壁画前面,我感到自己非常渺小,微不足道。
But you are prepared for the greatness of Michael Angelo. 但是人们对米开朗基罗的伟大还是有心理准备的,
Nothing had prepared me for the immense surprise of these pictures in a native hut, far away from civilisation, in a fold of the mountain above Taravao. 而在这样一个土人住的小木房子里,远离文明世界,在俯瞰塔拉窝村庄的群山怀抱里,我却根本没想到会看到这样令人吃惊的艺术作品。
And Michael Angelo is sane and healthy. 另外,米开朗基罗神智健全,身体健康。
Those great works of his have the calm of the sublime; but here, notwithstanding beauty, was something troubling. 他的那些伟大作品给人以崇高、肃穆的感觉。但是在这里,虽然我看到的也是美,却叫我觉得心神不安。
I do not know what it was. It made me uneasy. 我不知道那究竟是什么,但它确实叫我不能平静。
It gave me the impression you get when you are sitting next door to a room that you know is empty, 它给我一种印象,仿佛我正坐在一间空荡荡的屋子隔壁,我知道那间屋子是空的,
but in which, you know not why, you have a dreadful consciousness that notwithstanding there is someone. 但不知为什么,我又觉得里面有一个人,叫我惊恐万状。
You scold yourself; you know it is only your nerves—and yet, and yet... 你责骂你自己吧;你知道这只不过是你的神经在作祟——但是,但是……
In a little while it is impossible to resist the terror that seizes you, and you are helpless in the clutch of an unseen horror. 过一小会儿,你就再也不能抗拒那紧紧捕捉住你的恐惧了。你被握在一种无形的恐怖的掌心里,无法逃脱。
Yes; I confess I was not altogether sorry when I heard that those strange masterpieces had been destroyed." 是的,我承认当我听到这些奇异的杰作被毁掉的时候,我并不是只觉得遗憾的。”
"Destroyed?" I cried. “怎么,毁掉了?”我喊起来。
"Mais oui; did you not know?" “是啊。你不知道吗?”
"How should I know? “我怎么会知道?
It is true I had never heard of this work; but I thought perhaps it had fallen into the hands of a private owner. 我没听说过这些作品倒是事实,但是我还以为它们落到某个私人收藏家手里去了呢。
Even now there is no certain list of Strickland's paintings." 思特里克兰德究竟画了多少画儿,直到今天始终没有人编制出目录来。” |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/ylhlbs/440108.html |