英语听书《海底两万里》第464期 第28章 惊奇还是意外(6)(在线收听) |
Objects hanging in the lounge were visibly returning to their normal positions. 悬挂在客厅中的东西分明恢复了它们原来的地位。 The walls were approaching the vertical. Nobody said a word. 墙板接近垂直。我们中间没有谁说话。
Hearts pounding, we could see and feel the ship righting itself. 心跳动着,我们看着,我们感到船竖起来。
The floor was becoming horizontal beneath our feet. Ten minutes went by. 地板在我们脚下又变为横平面了。十分钟过了。
Finally, we're upright! I exclaimed. “究竟我们直起来了!”我喊。
Yes, Captain Nemo said, heading to the lounge door. “对。”尼摩船长说,同时他向客厅门走去。
But will we float off? I asked him. “不过我们能往上浮吗?”我问他。
Certainly, he replied, since the ballast tanks aren't yet empty, and when they are, the Nautilus must rise to the surface of the sea. “当然能往上浮,”他回答,“因为储水池还没有排水,排水后,诺第留斯号自然浮上海面来。”
The captain went out, and soon I saw that at his orders, the Nautilus had halted its upward movement. 船长走了,我不久看见,人们得到他的命令,诺第留斯号的上升停止了。
In fact, it soon would have hit the underbelly of the Ice Bank, but it had stopped in time and was floating in midwater. 是的,它可能碰上冰山的下部,让它留在水中是好些。
That was a close call! Conseil then said. “我们侥幸出险了!”康塞尔于是说。
Yes. We could have been crushed between these masses of ice, or at least imprisoned between them. “是的,我们可能在这些冰块间被压扁,至少被困往。
And then, with no way to renew our air supply...Yes, that was a close call! 那时,因为不能调换空气,…是的,我们侥幸出险了!
If it's over with! Ned Land muttered. “让它完蛋好了!”加拿大人低声咕噜着。
I was unwilling to get into a pointless argument with the Canadian and didn't reply. 我不想跟加拿大人作无益的争辩,我并不回答。
Moreover, the panels opened just then, and the outside light burst through the uncovered windows. 并且,嵌板在这时候打开,外面的光线通过嵌板的玻璃时进来。
We were fully afloat, as I have said; but on both sides of the Nautilus, about ten meters away, there rose dazzling walls of ice. 我们完全在水中,像我说过的一般;不过,在诺第留斯号的两边,相距十米左右,各竖起一道雪白眩目的冰墙。
There also were walls above and below. 船上下两方,也有同样的冰墙。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440248.html |