英语听书《白鲸记》第854期(在线收听) |
In short, this ancient and learned Low Dutch book treated of the commerce of Holland; 总之,这本古老而又精湛的荷兰语书,虽然讲的是荷兰的商业, and, among other subjects, contained a very interesting account of its whale fishery. 不过,除了其它许多题目,还有一篇关于荷兰捕鲸业的颇饶兴趣的文章。
And in this chapter it was, headed, "Smeer," or "Fat," that I found a long detailed list of the outfits for the larders and cellars of 180 sail of Dutch whalemen; 而且在这章题为"斯米尔"或者叫做"油脂"中,我发现了一张详表,记载着一百八十艘荷兰捕鲸船所配备的食品库和酒窖的数字,
from which list, as translated by Dr. Snodhead, I transcribe the following: 现在我把这张由斯诺黑特博士翻译出来的表,抄列如下:
400,000 lbs. of beef. 60,000 lbs. Friesland pork. 150,000 lbs. of stock fish. 550,000 lbs. of biscuit. 牛肉 四十万磅;佛里斯兰猪肉 六万磅;鱼 十五万磅;硬面包 五十五万磅;软面包
72,000 lbs. of soft bread. 2,800 firkins of butter. 20,000 lbs. of Texel and Leyden cheese. 七万二千磅;牛油 二千八百小桶(小桶(firkin)——约合九加仑。);泰克塞尔和来顿奶酪 二万磅;奶酪
144,000 lbs. cheese (probably an inferior article). 550 ankers of Geneva. 10,800 barrels of beer. 十四万四千磅(大概是次等品);杜松子酒 五百五十安克(安克——荷兰液量名,约十加仑。);啤酒 一万零八百桶
Most statistical tables are parchingly dry in the reading; 统计表格大多读来颇为枯燥乏味,
not so in the present case, however, where the reader is flooded with whole pipes, barrels, quarts, and gills of good gin and good cheer. 可是,这张表却不是这样,因为读者一看,就都浸沉在无数的好酒和美味食物中而其乐陶陶了。
At the time, I devoted three days to the studious digesting of all this beer, beef, and bread, 当时,我花了三天工夫,仔细地消纳所有这些啤酒、肉和面包,
during which many profound thoughts were incidentally suggested to me, capable of a transcendental and Platonic application; 可是,在这期间,突然又产生许多深邃的想法,可以称得上是一种直觉的和柏拉图式的思想; |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/445369.html |