英语PK台 第411期:改不掉拖延症竟然是因为拖延有好处?(在线收听

   If you're reading this, chances are that procrastination is not your friend. Most of the time, it seems like procrastination leads to nothing but anxiety, disappointment, and shame. So, if that's the case, then why is changing it so hard? One reason may be that, like anything, procrastination has its benefits. Some procrastinators actually delay tasks deliberately because they like to work under pressure or feel challenged by approaching deadlines. These active procrastinators feel in control of their time and use it purposefully.

  如果你正在读这篇短文,你有可能没有拖沓的习惯。多数时候,拖沓的恶习似乎只会导致人们产生焦虑,失望和羞愧。如果果真如此,那么为什么改掉这个恶习如此之难呢?其中一个原因也许是,行事拖沓也有其好处。某些行事拖沓的人故意拖延任务因为他们喜欢在高压下或者喜欢在最后期限来临的感觉之下工作。这些积极拖延者会有掌控时间以及按自己意图运用时间的感觉。
  They are less avoidant, have lower stress levels, and higher self-efficacy than passive procrastinators. So while they may put things off, unlike passive procrastinators, they are not paralyzed by worry and indecision-and they get things done. If you're an active procrastinator, you choose to put things off because you like the adrenaline rush that comes with getting things done right at the wire. You enjoy the challenge and you don't really want to change. If you identify more with the passive procrastinator, however, you already know how procrastination interferes with your life-the missed opportunities, the damaged relationships, and the constant stress, anxiety, and guilt.
  他们比消极拖沓者更少回避事情,有相对较小的压力以及更高的自我效能。因此,当他们推迟任务时,他们不会像消极拖沓者一样,他们不会被担忧和优柔寡断所困扰——他们能够完成任务。如果你是一个积极地拖沓者,你选择推迟任务因为你喜欢那种把事情在最后期限完成的那一刻的肾上腺素的冲击。你喜欢挑战而且你不想改变做事的方式。但如果你是消极的拖沓者,你知道行事拖沓对你的生活造成的影响——错过了各种机会,破坏了人际关系,造成持续的压力,焦虑和负罪感。
  No doubt, you've tried before but let's face it: changing is hard. One of the main barriers to building the motivation to change your avoidance is that procrastination actually has a number of benefits. Most people don't think of procrastination in these terms, that there are a lot of good things about it. We typically just think of procrastination as a negative thing. But, while the benefits of procrastination are often hidden, they can sap your motivation to change nonetheless.
  毋庸置疑,你已经尝试过要改变但是我们还是正视它吧:改变很困难。要建立改变你的回避性的动因,其主要障碍之一是因为拖沓行事的习惯确有一些好处。很多人并未想到过这方面的原因,并未想到这其实有不少好处。我们通常只将行事拖沓当作消极的事情。但是,行事拖沓的好处常常被隐藏起来,改变的动因就会被其削弱。
  4. Some examples of the benefits of procrastination include:
  行事拖沓的好处的例子:
  You get to put off unpleasant tasks in favor of more enjoyable things.
  你推迟不太令人感到高兴的任务而更喜欢做喜欢的任务
  Problems may end up getting solved without any effort from you.
  问题最终不需要你费吹灰之力就解决了
  You can avoid the possibility of failure-or success.
  你可以避免失败或者成功的可能性
  You get to avoid the discomfort of doing something you dread.
  你可以避免因做你惧怕的事情而产生的不适感
  You can avoid the anxiety you feel about the task.
  你可以避免对任务产生的焦虑情绪
  Someone may come to your rescue and do it for you.
  某人会也许会过来营救你帮你把工作完成
  The demands placed on you get lifted because you dragged your feet.
  因为你故意拖延,任务要求有可能会被取消
  5. Whatever the benefits of procrastination are for you, it can help to be aware of them as you work to turn your procrastination habits around. To build true motivation to change, motivation that will see you through the hard work necessary to achieve your goals, it can be helpful to conduct a cost-benefit analysis and pit the costs and benefits of procrastination against each other to see which side wins out.
  无论对你来说拖沓的好处有哪些,当你努力要改变这个习惯时意识到这些好处的存在还是有帮助的。建造真实的动因去改变这个习惯,动因会随着你经历艰难且必要的过程来达成你的目标。做一个消耗—得益的分析,使消耗与得益二者相互竞争比较看看哪方能胜出,这样也是很有帮助的。
  6. To do so, simply divide a sheet of paper down the middle. On the left side, under "Costs" you can list all the drawbacks of avoiding unpleasant tasks. On the right side, under "Benefits" list all the benefits of putting things off. When you are done, take a close look at each side. Which wins? Is your procrastination working for you? Or against you?
  只要把一张纸从中间分开。左边的“消耗”一栏你可以列举出所有避开令人不愉快的任务的缺点。在右边“得益”一栏你可以列举出所有推迟任务的好处。完成之后仔细看一看,哪边赢了?最后你的拖沓对你来说有利么?还是不利?
  The answer will be different for each person reading this. But, if you've decided that the benefits of procrastination are not worth it compared to the havoc it wreaks on your personal and professional life, now may be the time to make some changes. Look to future posts for tips on how to overcome procrastination, decrease stress and anxiety and improve productivity. You'll lose the safety net that procrastination can provide, but it will be well worth it.
  对每个读者来说答案也会是不同的。但是,如果你已经看到拖沓的优点完全不值得与之在你的生活和工作中造成的混乱相比时,也许现在就是时候做出一些改变了。未来给出一些战胜拖沓,减轻压力和焦虑,以及提高生产效率的建议。你会失去拖沓提供给你的安全网,但是那都是值得的。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/446984.html