英语PK台 第551期:去华盛顿玩玩(在线收听) |
Dialogue 1 Mark: Whew! You made it. I was just about to turn in.
马克:嗬!你还是到达了!我这就准备回房间了。
Jingjing: You would have stood me up?
京晶:你要放我鸽子吗?
Mark: We'd have run into each other at the breakfast buffet.
马克:我们本该在自助早餐时偶遇彼此的。
Jingjing: You mean the "continental breakfast"?
京晶:你是说“欧陆式早餐?”
Mark: Oops, yeah. Anyway, you're here, and you're looking dead beat.
马克:对啊。好吧,你已经在这了,你看上去简直累坏了。
Jingjing: I haven't even begun to feel jet lag, I'm that tired.
京晶:我还没有开始感觉到时差疲劳呢,我只是累。
Mark: Well then, let's quickly decide which places we're going to visit tomorrow.
马克:那,接下来让我们迅速决定明天我们要去玩哪些地方。
Jingjing: Sounds simple enough. I can't believe we both have to fly out again the day after tomorrow in the morning!
京晶:听上去够简单。我简直不敢相信我俩后天一早又都得再飞走。
Mark: I'm glad we could meet in Washington D.C. It's been ages.
马克:很开心我们能够在华盛顿见面,已经好久没见了。
Jingjing: Yeah. If we both get up early, let's hit the Smithsonian after breakfast.
京晶:是啊,如果我们都起得早,那我们早餐后就去美国国立博物馆吧!
Mark: I like the sound of that. Feel free to sleep in. If we're going to the Smithsonian at all, we'd have to give it four hours at least.
马克:我喜欢这个语气。睡懒觉也没事。如果我们确定要去国立博物馆的话,我们至少得留足4个小时。
Jingjing: Okay, I'm thinking the early bird gets the worm here, and that we can play that by ear.
京晶:好的。我在想早起的鸟儿有虫吃,这样我们可以随机应变。
Mark: Right. And after we have lunch somewhere, we can check out a couple other places.
马克:对。等我们在某处吃完午餐后,我们可以再去看一些别的地方。
Jingjing: You know, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial are right across from each other.
京晶:你知道吗,华盛顿纪念碑和林肯纪念堂相隔很近。
Mark: Hmm, they are close. Um; what do you think about the White House?
马克:嗯,它们相隔很近。你觉得白宫怎么样?
Jingjing: I think it's more of a tourist trap. What are your thoughts about it?
京晶:我想主要是敲旅客竹杠的地方吧?你怎么看?
Mark: Well, I mean, if we're in Washington D.C., and we want to see something unlike what they have in other capital cities and historical places, maybe the White House would be our best bet.
马克:我意思是,既然我们在华盛顿了,我们想去看一些不像其他首都城市或者历史名胜地有的东西,也许白宫是最好的选择。
Jingjing: You think we could get in?
京晶:你觉得我们能进去吗?
Mark: I'm not counting on it. What about, after the Smithsonian, we head toward the White House, eat somewhere, and go on to the Capitol Building if the White House is too packed.
马克:我不指望。你说要不,去完国立博物馆以后,我们就直奔白宫,然后某处吃点东西,如果白宫太挤就去国会大厦。
Jingjing: That sounds decent. And we can keep the monument and memorial as a backup.
京晶:听上去妙极了。同时我们可以把纪念碑和纪念堂作为后备方案。
Mark: Or check it out in the evening. Now go upstairs and crash. Your eyelids are heavier than my luggage.
马克:或者晚上再看。现在上楼睡觉吧。你的眼皮比我的行李还沉呢。
Jingjing: I'm afraid I don't see what you mean. HASTA MANANA.
京晶:我恐怕不懂你在说什么。明儿见。
New words: 习语短语:
You made it. 你安全准时地到达了
(You got here safely and on time.)
turn in 睡觉,或者去房间(酒店)的私人地方
(go to sleep, or go to a private part of the house/hotel)
stood me up / stand somebody up 放某人鸽子 ,不准时与某人会面
(don't go to meet the person as planned)
run into each other 偶遇彼此
(meet each other by chance)
continental breakfast 酒店里的一种早餐, 欧陆式早餐,通常是咖啡、黄油、面包等为主。
(often offered by hotels, some kind of bread with juice or coffee)
dead beat 非常疲惫
(very tired, physically exhausted)
jet lag 时差导致的疲惫
(tiredness or nervousness due to having been stuck on a plane for several hours, and due to the time difference)
It's been ages. 已经很久了
(It's been a very long time since we saw each other.)
hit 去...地方
(go to, try)
sleep in 睡懒觉
(sleep later than usual in the morning, don't get up so early)
give it 给时间做某事
(allow time for)
The early bird gets the worm. 早起的鸟儿有虫吃,早点到,有好处可享受
(If you arrive somewhere early, you'll benefit more.)
play (something) by ear 到时候再说,视情况而定
(go somewhere without an exact plan, wander around)
check (it) out 去看
(go to see)
tourist trap 敲游客竹杠之地
(a famous place with lots of visitors, usually overpriced and inconvenient)
best bet 最佳选择
(the most likely best choice)
count on (something) 指望,靠得上某事
(rely on something, expect it to be successful)
backup 后备方案
(available alternative, plan B)
crash 睡觉 (sleep)
HASTA MANANA (西班牙语)明天见
(See you tomorrow.)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark arrive at the White House.
京晶和马克到达白宫
Jingjing: Did you have enough to eat for lunch?
京晶:你中午吃的东西够吗?
Mark: Um, kind of. But I'm not that keen on filling up on snack food instead of eating at a restaurant.
马克:差不多吧。但是我不是很喜欢吃零食填饱肚子代替去餐馆吃。
Jingjing: Let's look for a restaurant when dinnertime comes.
京晶:晚餐的时候我们再去找个馆子吧。
Mark: Speaking of time, it looks like we'd be stuck all afternoon in this queue.
马克:说到时间,看上去我们得一下午困在这儿排长队了。
Jingjing: Yeah, so this is the White House.
京晶:是啊,这就是白宫了
Mark: What do you say we just take some pictures here from outside?
马克:我们就在外面拍张照怎么样?
Jingjing: And forget about the tour?
京晶:然后放弃整个游览?
Mark: You got it. I'm willing to bet there'll be fewer people at some of the other places.
马克:是这意思。我愿意打赌一定有一些别的人少的地方。
Jingjing: Sounds good.
京晶:听上去不错。
New words: 习语短语:
keen 有兴趣,被吸引
(attracted to, interested in)
filling up on 吃大量的同款食物
(having a lot of one kind of food)
stuck 困住,不能离开
(unable to leave)
forget about 放弃
(give up, forgo)
I'm willing to bet 我期待
(I expect...) |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/447624.html |