英语PK台 第702期:最少的需求,最大的自由——极简生活(在线收听) |
Minimalist Lifestyle 极简生活
Dialogue 1
Mark: Jingjing, that's a nice jacket you're wearing. It's perfect for this spring weather.
马克:京晶,你穿的这件夹克真不错。春天穿这个真是太合适了。
Jingjing: Thanks for noticing. It's not really new, though. I've just not had the chance to wear it yet.
京晶:谢谢你留意到。也不是新衣了,一直没机会穿上。
Mark: Yeah, spring is such a short season in Beijing. I'm glad your jacket can finally make its debut.
马克:是啊,北京的春天太短了。真好你的夹克终于有机会闪亮登场了。
Jingjing: Haha. Actually, I don't buy new clothes that often.
京晶:哈哈,事实上,我不是那么经常买新衣服的。
Mark: Me neither. I used to be a total clothes horse. I think I told you before. Now I don't spend much of my salary each month.
马克:我也不是。我过去简直就是一个购衣控(活衣架),我想我之前告诉过你吧,现在我每个月都花得很少。
Jingjing: That's good. You gotta think about the future.
京晶:那很好啊。你得为未来打算。
Mark: Yeah, I used to run through a pay check in one or two weeks, and have nothing left at the end of the month.
马克:是的,我过去一两周就把钱乱花光了,月底什么也没有(吃土)了。
Jingjing: Now I remember, we did talk about saving money before. But you never told me what the turning point was for you.
京晶:现在我想起来了,我们以前谈过攒钱的事,但是你从没跟我说过是什么让你转变的。
Mark: Well, every time I moved, I had the option of paying for several months of rent in advance. Then it got to where I could pay a year up front and get a big break.
马克:每次我搬家,我都可以选择提前支付几个月的房租,直到后来我可以提前付完一年房租,然后可以获得一个大折扣。
Jingjing: Did anything else change?
京晶:有什么别的变化吗?
Mark: Yeah, that caused a chain reaction. I went several months without spending much money, and I learned to enjoy life in simple ways.
马克:这带来了连锁反应。我过了好几个月不怎么花钱的生活,然后我学会了享受简单的生活。
Jingjing: It sounds like you've grown into a minimalist lifestyle. I'm the same way.
京晶:听上去你已经开始过上了极简生活。我也一样。
Mark: Yup. You get to a point where you've had the newest stuff, and when it gets used up or outdated, you wish you still had the money.
马克:是的。你会有这样一种感觉:当你拥有了什么最新款的东西,当它用完了或者过时了以后,你真后悔花了这个钱。
Jingjing: That's exactly how I feel.
京晶:我也完全有同感
New words: 习语短语
debut 首次亮相,首秀
when someone or something is introduced (usually a noteworthy song from a new artist)
clothes horse 活衣架,形容爱买衣服的人
someone who has lots of clothes (also refers to a free-standing rack that holds clothes)
run through 随意花费
spend carelessly
turning point 转折点
a time when something changed
break 折扣
discount
chain reaction 连锁反应
a set of events, each one causing the next
minimalist 极简生活的人
a person who has a simple life, and not too much stuff
Dialogue 2
Mark: Jingjing, you asked me how I turned over a new leaf. I'm still curious about your story.
马克:京晶,你问过了我是怎么过上这种新生活的,我很想知道,那你呢?
Jingjing: Well, I never was a spendthrift. You know, until finishing university, I didn't have much of my own money.
京晶:嗯,我从来不会是花钱大手大脚的人,你知道,直到大学毕业,我都没有多少自己的钱。
Mark: That's good, I guess. But didn't that all change when you graduated and started earning a salary?
马克:我想这是好事。那当你毕业了开始挣薪水后这一切不都改变了吗?
Jingjing: It was pretty low at first, and I knew I couldn't do much with it. Besides, I was proud to give most of it to my parents.
京晶:一开始工资也不高,我知道我也没什么别的办法。再说,我很自豪我把大部分都给了父母。
Mark: So, what do you do to enjoy life, if not spend money?
马克:那么,如果不花钱。你怎么享受生活呢?
Jingjing: There are lots of ways. Just like you, I enjoy a good book. I take care of animals also.
京晶:有很多方式啊,就像你一样,我享受读一本好书,照顾小动物。
Mark: Yeah, I know you do those two things. I guess you don't have to shell out much cash for either.
马克:是的,我知道你做这两件事。我猜你也不会为此花太多钱吧。
Jingjing: Nope. If there's anything fun that ends up costing me, it's travel.
京晶:是的,如果有有趣的事需要花钱的话,那就是旅行了。
Mark: Do you travel in style?
马克:你的旅行很奢侈吗?
Jingjing: No. That's not me. Each trip costs me a fair bit, but it's something to look forward to every few months.
京晶:不,那不是我。每次旅行都会小花一笔钱,但是也是每几个月值得期待的事。
Mark: That sounds pretty good. I'm proud of you. And I bet your parents are also.
马克:听上去真不错。为你感到骄傲。相信你父母也有同感。
Jingjing: They taught me to be responsible. But I learned to enjoy a simple lifestyle in my own way.
京晶:他们教会了我人要有责任感,我学会了用自己的方式享受简单的生活。
Mark: Well, take it easy, Jingjing. Until next time.
马克:那么,好好放松玩吧,直到下一次到来。
Jingjing: OK, Mark. See ya!
京晶:好的,马克,回见!
New words: 习语短语
turn over a new leaf 改变旧的生活习惯,开始新的,更健康的生活方式
change, stop a bad habit, become more healthy and responsible
spendthrift 挥霍的人
a person who spends lots of money carelessly
shell out (不停地)付,花费
pay, continue to give more money
travel in style昂贵奢侈的旅行
take a luxurious trip
a fair bit 贵的
expensive |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yypkt/448617.html |