TED演讲 第15期:如何看到不可见的运动听到沉默的声音(3)(在线收听

 Maybe we could use those motions to tell us something about our thoughts or our emotions.  也许这可以告诉我们,我们的想法或情绪。

We can also magnify small mechanical movements,  我们同样也可以方法微小的机械运动,
like vibrations in engines,  如引擎的震动,
that can help engineers detect and diagnose machinery problems,  这可以帮助工程师诊断机械问题,
or see how our buildings and structures sway in the wind and react to forces.  或者看到建筑或结构的随风摇动。
Those are all things that our society knows how to measure in various ways,  我们知道这些变化可以通过其他方法测量,
but measuring those motions is one thing,  但是测量是一回事,
and actually seeing those motions as they happen is a whole different thing.  肉眼看到的又是另一回事。
And ever since we discovered this new technology,  自从我们开发者这项新技术,
we made our code available online so that others could use and experiment with it.  我们便把代码放到了网上,这样其他人可以使用试验它。
It's very simple to use.  用起来很简单。
It can work on your own videos.  可以处理你自己拍的视频。
Our collaborators at Quanta Research even created this nice website where you can upload your videos and process them online,  我们的合作伙伴,量研科技,甚至建了个网站这里可以上传视频并在线处理,
so even if you don't have any experience in computer science or programming,  这样即使你没有计算机科学或编程经验
you can still very easily experiment with this new microscope.  也可以试验这种新型“显微镜”。
And I'd like to show you just a couple of examples of what others have done with it.  我要演示几个其他的例子别人用它做了什么。
So this video was made by a YouTube user called Tamez85.  这段视频是一个叫Tamez85的YouTube用户作的。
I don't know who that user is,  我不知道他是谁,
but he, or she, used our code  但是他(她)用我们的代码
to magnify small belly movements during pregnancy.  方法了孕妇腹部的运动。
It's kind of creepy.  令人毛骨悚然。
People have used it to magnify pulsing veins in their hands.  人们用它放在自己的腕部脉搏。
And you know it's not real science unless you use guinea pigs,  你知道要能被称为科学必须用到豚鼠,
and apparently this guinea pig is called Tiffany,  显然这只豚鼠叫蒂芙妮,
and this YouTube user claims it is the first rodent on Earth that was motion-magnified.  这位YouTube用户声称这是地球上首个运动被放大的啮齿类动物。
You can also do some art with it.  你也可以用它进行艺术创作。
So this video was sent to me by a design student at Yale.  这是耶鲁大学设计系学生发给我的视频。
She wanted to see if there's any difference in the way her classmates move.  她想看看她同学运动的方式有何不同。
She made them all stand still, and then magnified their motions.  她让他们静止站立然后放大他们的运动。
It's like seeing still pictures come to life.  者看上去像是图片有了生命。
And the nice thing with all those examples is that we had nothing to do with them.  这些例子的有意思的地方是我们没有进行干预。
We just provided this new tool, a new way to look at the world,  我们只是提供了新工具,一种看世界的新方法,
and then people find other interesting, new and creative ways of using it.  然后人们就找到其他有意思、新的创造性地方法使用这个工具。
But we didn't stop there.  我们不满足于此。
This tool not only allows us to look at the world in a new way,  这个工具不仅使我们有了看世界的新方法,
it also redefines what we can do and pushes the limits of what we can do with our cameras.  同样它还重新定义了摄像机的功能限制。
So as scientists, we started wondering,  作为科学家,我们开始思考,
what other types of physical phenomena produce tiny motions that we could now use our cameras to measure? 其他物理现象造成的微小振动现在我们可以用摄像机来测量?
And one such phenomenon that we focused on recently is sound.  其中一种现象就是,声音。
Sound, as we all know, is basically changes in air pressure that travel through the air. 声音,我们知道声音是一种压力波,依靠空气的压缩变化在空气中传播。
Those pressure waves hit objects and they create small vibrations in them,  压力波碰到物体,就会引起物体本身的微小震动。
which is how we hear and how we record sound.  这就是我们听到了录音的原理。
But it turns out that sound also produces visual motions.  这样,声音也会造成物体的视觉运动。
Those are motions that are not visible to us but are visible to a camera with the right processing.  这些运动,肉眼难于分辨但是通过处理摄像机却可见。
So here are two examples.  这里有两个例子。
This is me demonstrating my great singing skills.  这里我展示我伟大的歌唱技巧。
And I took a high-speed video of my throat while I was humming.  我哼唱时,我录了一段高速视频。
Again, if you stare at that video,  如果您盯着视频看的话,
there's not too much you'll be able to see,  仅凭肉眼您是看不出什么端倪的,
but once we magnify the motions 100 times, we can see all the motions and ripples in the neck that are involved in producing the sound. 但是当我把运动方法100倍后我们就可以看到颈部的运动和波纹这是由于声音震动造成的。
That signal is there in that video.  信号就藏在这段视频中。
We also know that singers can break a wine glass if they hit the correct note.  我们知道,歌唱家可以震碎酒杯如果他们发出正确的音符。
So here, we're going to play a note that's in the resonance frequency of that glass through a loudspeaker that's next to it.  我们播放一个音符玻璃杯旁边音箱发出的共振频率。
Once we play that note and magnify the motions 250 times,  我们播放音符,然后方法运动250倍,
we can very clearly see how the glass vibrates and resonates in response to the sound.  我们可以清楚的看到玻璃杯是如何响应声音共振的振动的。
It's not something you're used to seeing every day.  这是我们日常见不到的。
But this made us think. It gave us this crazy idea.  但是这激发了我们思考。给我们一个疯狂的主意。
Can we actually invert this process and recover sound from video by analyzing the tiny vibrations that sound waves create in objects,  我们能不能通过分析声音在物体上造成的微小振动从视频中逆向重构出声音来呢,
and essentially convert those back into the sounds that produced them.  重构出原来的声音呢?
In this way, we can turn everyday objects into microphones.  依靠这种方法,我们可以把任何物体变成麦克风。
So that's exactly what we did.  我们真的照做了。
So here's an empty bag of chips that was lying on a table,  这是一个空薯片袋,放在桌上,
and we're going to turn that bag of chips into a microphone by filming it with a video camera, 我们要把这个薯片袋变为一个麦克风用摄像机拍摄视频
and analyzing the tiny motions that sound waves create in it.  然后分析视频中声音造成的微小振动。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kjp/451661.html