TED演讲:为什么最棒的雇员并没有完美的简历(3)(在线收听

 I'm the fourth of five children raised by a single mother in a rough neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York. 我是一位单身母亲五个孩子中的第四个,我们在纽约布鲁克林一个混乱的街区生活。

We never owned a home, a car, a washing machine, and for most of my childhood, we didn't even have a telephone. 我们从未拥有过一个家,一辆车,或是一个洗衣机,在我童年的大部分时间,我们甚至没有一部电话。
So I was highly motivated to understand the relationship between business success and Scrappers, 因此我有很强的意愿去理解生意场的成功和“拳击手”的关联,
because my life could easily have turned out very differently. 因为我的人生很容易就会发展出不同的结局。
As I met successful business people and read profiles of high-powered leaders, I noticed some commonality. 我见过成功的商人,也阅读过具备出色领导能力的人的资料,我发现了其中的一些共性。
Many of them had experienced early hardships, anywhere from poverty, abandonment, 他们中的很多人经历过早年的困顿,可能是贫穷,被抛弃,
death of a parent while young, to learning disabilities, alcoholism and violence. 亲人的早逝,也可能是学习障碍,酗酒和暴力。
The conventional thinking has been that trauma leads to distress, and there's been a lot of focus on the resulting dysfunction. 传统的思维认为创伤会导致痛苦,而且还重点强调了失败的结果。
But during studies of dysfunction, data revealed an unexpected insight: 但在我研究这些不成功的案例期间,得到的数据却揭示了一个出乎意料的结论:
that even the worst circumstances can result in growth and transformation. 即便是最糟的境遇也能导致成长和转变。
A remarkable and counterintuitive phenomenon has been discovered, which scientists call Post Traumatic Growth. 一个显著但有悖常理的现象已经被发现了,科学家们称之为“创后成长”。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/syp/452548.html