TED演讲 :慈悲心与感同身受的真正涵义(1)(在线收听

 I want to address the issue of compassion.  我想探讨慈悲心这个话题

Compassion has many faces.  慈悲心有很多形态
Some of them are fierce; some of them are wrathful;  有些是激烈的;有些是忿怒的
some of them are tender; some of them are wise.  有些是温和的, 有些是智慧的
A line that the Dalai Lama once said, he said, "Love and compassion are necessities.  达赖喇嘛曾说过 他说:“爱与慈悲是必需品
They are not luxuries.  它们不是奢侈品
Without them, humanity cannot survive. 没有它们 " 人性无法留存。”
And I would suggest, it is not only humanity that won't survive,  我想说的是 不仅人性难以保全
but it is all species on the planet, as we've heard today. And I would suggest, it is not only humanity that won't survive,  我们今天所知道的 地球上所有的物种都是 我想说的是 不仅人性难以保全
but it is all species on the planet, as we've heard today.  我们今天所知道的 地球上所有的物种都是
It is the big cats, and it's the plankton. 不论是大型猫科动物 还是浮游生物
Two weeks ago, I was in Bangalore in India.  两周前,我在印度的班加罗尔
I was so privileged to be able to teach in a hospice on the outskirts of Bangalore.  我很荣幸的 在班加罗尔的郊区 一个安养院教授临终关怀
And early in the morning, I went into the ward.  每天很早 我就去病房
In that hospice, there were 31 men and women who were actively dying.  在那家安养院 有31个人 处在濒死状态
And I walked up to the bedside of an old woman who was breathing very rapidly, fragile,  我走到 一个老年妇女的床前 她的呼吸非常急促而微弱
obviously in the latter phase of active dying.  很明显 她处于濒死的末期
I looked into her face. I looked into the face of her son sitting next to her, 我看着她的脸 看着坐在她旁边 她儿子的脸
and his face was just riven with grief and confusion.  他的脸 溢满了悲伤和困惑
And I remembered a line from the Mahabharata, the great Indian epic:  我记得 摩诃婆罗多 伟大的印度史诗里有这么一段话:
"What is the most wondrous thing in the world, Yudhisthira?"  “尤帝士提尔,什么是这世上最美妙的事情?”
And Yudhisthira replied,  尤帝士提尔答道
"The most wondrous thing in the world is that all around us people can be dying and we don't realize it can happen to us."  “世上最美妙的事情 就是我们所有人 都将死去 而我们对此 却一无所知。”
I looked up.  我仰起头
Tending those 31 dying people were young women from villages around Bangalore.  照顾这31个濒死者的 是来自 班加罗尔周边村子的年轻女性
I looked into the face of one of these women,  我看着她们的脸
and I saw in her face the strength that arises when natural compassion is really present.  在她们的脸上 我看到 慈悲显现时升起的力量
I watched her hands as she bathed an old man.  我看着她的手 她在给一个老年男人沐浴
My gaze went to another young woman as she wiped the face of another dying person.  我转头望向另一个年轻女子 她在擦拭 另一位临死的人的脸
And it reminded me  这让我想起
of something that I had just been present for.  我刚刚演讲提到的那些内容 And it reminded me 这让我想起
of something that I had just been present for.  我刚刚演讲提到的那些内容
Every year or so, I have the privilege of taking clinicians into the Himalayas and the Tibetan Plateau.  差不多每一年 我由此荣幸身负使命 进入喜马拉雅地区和西藏高原
We run clinics in these very remote regions where there's no medical care whatsoever.  我们在每一个遥远的区域 开设诊所 那里没有此类医疗护理
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/ylp/452559.html