TED演讲:谈乌鸦的智慧(1)(在线收听

 How many of you have seen the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Birds"? 这里有多少人看过阿尔弗雷德·希区柯克的电影《鸟》?

Any of you get really freaked out by that? You might want to leave now. 是不是认为那片子太过离奇了?要是那样的话,你现在可以走了。
So this is a vending machine for crows. Over the past few days, many of you have been asking me, 大家看到的是一台专门为乌鸦设计的自动售货机。过去几天,人们都在问我同样的问题:
"How did you come to this? How did you get started doing this?" “你怎么开始搞这玩意的?有什么吸引你的地方吗?”
It started, as with many great ideas, or many ideas you can't get rid of, anyway, at a cocktail party. 说实话,这玩意就像很多伟大的想法,或者一些你无法在脑中驱散的想法一样,是从一次鸡尾酒派对产生的。
About 10 years ago, I was at a cocktail party with a friend of mine. 大概十年前,我与一个朋友在一个鸡尾酒派对上。
And we were sitting there, and he was complaining about the crows that were all over his yard and making a big mess. 我们坐在那,他一直在抱怨乌鸦们把他的院子搞得一团糟。
And he was telling me we ought to eradicate these things, kill them, because they're making a mess. 他那时很认真的跟我说,我们得想办法消灭这些鬼东西,否则我们就不会有好日子过。
I said that was stupid, maybe we should just train them to do something useful. And he said that was impossible. 我跟他说,那才是坏主意呢,咱们为何不训练它们,让乌鸦帮我们人类做一点有意义的事情?他丢给我一句“那不可能”。
And I'm sure I'm in good company in finding that tremendously annoying, when someone tells you it's impossible. 我相信绝对不只我一人觉得这极度恼人--当有人告诉你“那不可能”时。
So I spent the next 10 years reading about crows in my spare time. 于是决定用10年的时间在我的业余时间专门研究乌鸦。
And after 10 years of this, my wife said, "You've got to do this thing you've been talking about, and build the vending machine."  现在10年过去了,我妻子说,“好吧,你也该把它做出来了,你不是一直说要给乌鸦们做一个自动售货机么?”
So I did. But part of the reason I found this interesting is, 于是我就把它做出来了。但我对这个项目感兴趣还有部分原因是因为,
I started noticing that we're very aware of all the species that are going extinct on the planet as a result of human habitation expansion, 我开始注意到我们人类已经意识到,有很多物种因为人类无止尽的扩张将会在地球上灭绝,
and no one seems to be paying attention to all the species that are actually living; they're surviving. 但貌似没人对那些还生存在世上的物种有所关心--它们都还真正地活着。
And I'm talking specifically about synanthropic species, which have adapted specifically for human ecologies, 这里我指的是那些长期与人共处,并适应了人类生态系统的动物,
species like rats and cockroaches and crows. 这样的动物包括老鼠、蟑螂、乌鸦。
And as I started looking at them, I was finding that they had hyper-adapted. 而假如你仔细观察的话,你会发现所有的这类动物都已经对人类社会产生了高度的适应性。
They'd become extremely adept at living with us. 并且随着继续与人生活在一起,它们的适应性还加变得更强。
And in return, we just tried to kill them all the time. 但反观人类呢,我们只是一直在不断屠杀它们而已。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/ylp/452761.html