TED演讲:让我们带上女超人!(4)(在线收听

 These six companies produce nine out of every 10 movies you watch, 这六家公司制作了你所接触过的90%的电影,

nine out of every 10 television shows, nine out of every 10 songs, nine out of every 10 books. 90%的电视节目,90%的歌曲,90%的书籍。
So my question to you is, if six companies control 90 percent of American media, 所以我要问你们的是,如果六家公司控制着全美国百分之九十的媒体,
how much influence do you think they have over what you're allowed to see every day? 你们认为,在观看什么节目的问题上,它们对你们产生了多大的影响?
Because in media studies, we spend a lot of time saying that media can't tell us what to think, 因为在媒体学的研究中,我们花费大量的时间说明媒体并不能告诉我们去想什么,
and they can't; they're terrible at that. But that's not their job. 它们确实不能,而且做得很糟糕。不过那不是它们分内的事情。
Media don't tell us what to think. Media tell us what to think about. 媒体并不告诉我们要去想什么,媒体告诉我们要去思考什么。
They control the conversation, and in controlling the conversation, 它们掌控着我们的谈话内容,即使是现在,
they don't have to get you to think what they want you to think. 它们不必让你想到它们想要让你想的东西,
They'll just get you thinking about the things they want you to think about, 它们仅仅是让你思考他们想要让你思考的事情,
and more importantly, not thinking about the things they don't you to think about. 更重要的是,不去思考它们不想让你思考的事情。
They control the conversation. How does this work in practice? 它们掌控了谈话内容。这在我们的实际生活中是如何奏效的呢?
Let's just take one of those companies. We'll do an easy one. 让我们找到这六家公司中的一家。一家简单的。
Let's talk about the Walt Disney Company for a second. 让我们聊聊迪士尼公司。
The reason why I always pick the Walt Disney Company is this. 我总是选择迪士尼公司的原因是这个。
Is there a single person in this room who has never seen a Disney movie? Look around. Exactly. 在座的观众中有从未看过迪士尼电影的人吗?看吧,答案显而易见。
I picked Disney because they have what we call 100 percent penetration in our society. 我选择迪士尼公司是因为,用我们的话说,它百分之百的渗透进了我们的社会。
Every single person has been exposed to Disney, so it's an easy one for me to use. 每一个人都曾经接触迪士尼,所以我用它来举例效果最好。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/gjwtp/453076.html