TED演讲:如何健康长寿(2)(在线收听

   And the first myth is if you try really hard  谣言一:如果你很努力地尝试,

  you can live to be 100.  你就可以活到一百岁。
  False.  错了。
  The problem is, only about one out of 5,000 people  事实上,在美国,每五千人中只有一人
  in America live to be 100.  能活到一百岁
  Your chances are very low.  你的机会太小了。
  Even though it's the fastest growing demographic in America,  尽管现在美国正处与人口增长最快的时期?
  it's hard to reach 100.  活到一百岁仍然还是很困难的
  The problem is  问题在于,
  that we're not programmed for longevity.  我们人类没被设为长寿,
  We are programmed for something called  只是被预设为需要达到
  procreative success.  繁衍的成功的状态
  I love that word.  这个词棒极了
  It reminds me of my college days.  让我回想起我上大学的时候?
  Biologists term procreative success to mean  生物学对生殖成功的定义是?
  the age where you have children  你有孩子的年龄
  and then another generation, the age when your children have children.  以及下一代,你孩子有他们自己孩子的年龄
  After that the effect of evolution  达到这个年龄后,生物遗传的意义
  completely dissipates.  就完全淡化了?
  If you're a mammal, if you're a rat  不论你是哺乳动物,老鼠
  or an elephant, or a human, in between, it's the same story.  大象,人,或是其它,道理都一样
  So to make it to age 100, you not only have to have  所以要活到一百岁,你不仅要
  had a very good lifestyle, you also have to have won  有一个很好的生活方式,你还必须
  the genetic lottery.  拥有长寿基因的好运
  The second myth is,  第二个谣言是,
  there are treatments that can help slow,  拥有能够帮助我们减缓
  reverse, or even stop aging.  倒转甚至阻止衰老的方法
  False.  错
  When you think of it, there is 99 things that can age us.  说到这,有99种可能会使我们老去。
  Deprive your brain of oxygen for just a few minutes,  让大脑缺氧,仅几分钟
  those brain cells die, they never come back.  就会使得脑细胞死亡并永不能复活
  Play tennis too hard, on your knees, ruin your cartilage,  过度打网球会损害膝盖的软骨
  the cartilage never comes back.  你的软骨永远不再复原。
  Our arteries can clog. Our brains can gunk up with plaque,  我们的动脉会堵塞。大脑会因血小板凝结
  and we can get Alzheimer's.  而得老年痴呆症
  There is just too many things to go wrong.  我们体内有35万亿个细胞
  Our bodies have 35 trillion cells,  出问题的可能性太多
  trillion with a "T." We're talking national debt numbers here.  我们这里说的是国债数量。
  Those cells turn themselves over once every eight years.  这些细胞每八年翻转一次
  And every time they turn themselves over  每次翻转都有一些损伤
  there is some damage. And that damage builds up.  这些损伤
  And it builds up exponentially.  以指数性规律成长。
  It's a little bit like the days when we all had  有点像是那段时间里
  Beatles albums or Eagles albums  我们都有披头士和老鹰乐队的相册一样
  and we'd make a copy of that on a cassette tape,  我们会复制盒式磁带
  and let our friends copy that cassette tape,  并让朋友们也复制
  and pretty soon, with successive generations  很快,代代相传
  that tape sounds like garbage.  磁带现在听起来过时了
  Well, the same things happen to our cells.  同样细胞也是如此。
  That's why a 65-year-old person  这就是为什么一个65岁的老人
  is aging at a rate of about  的老化速度
  125 times faster  是一个12岁孩子
  than a 12-year-old person.  的125倍
  So, if there is nothing you can do  所以如果没有什么能够
  to slow your aging or stop your aging,  减缓或停止老龄化
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/kxp/453868.html