TED演讲:站在救灾前沿(2)(在线收听) |
We didn't get our authority from the board of selectmen 我们既没有得到行政委员会的授权 or the emergency management director or the United Way. 也没有被应急办主任或是Uited Way批准
We just started answering questions and making decisions because someone, anyone, had to. 我们只不过开始回答问题并且做出决定,因为必须有人这么做
And why not me? I'm a campaign organizer. 为什么这个人不是我?我是选举组织者
I'm good at Facebook. And there's two of me. 我玩Facebook玩的很好,而且我有两个账号
The point is, if there's a flood or a fire or a hurricane, 重点是,只要发生洪水,火灾,或者飓风,
you, or somebody like you, are going to step up and start organizing things. 你,或者像你一样的人,都会站出来组织救灾
The other point is that it is hard. 不过当中充满困难
Lying on the ground after another 17-hour day, 又一次工作了17个小时之后躺在地上,
Caitria and I would empty our pockets and try to place dozens of scraps of paper into context -- Caitria和我掏空口袋,努力把掏出的纸片上的信息整理出来
all bits of information that had to be remembered and matched in order to help someone. 任何值得记住和需要匹配的信息,为了帮助别人
After another day and a shower at the shelter, we realized it shouldn't be this hard. 又过了一天,在避难所洗了个澡,我们意识到事情不应该这么困难
In a country like ours where we breathe wi-fi, 在我们这样的国家可以享受无线网络服务
leveraging technology for a faster recovery should be a no-brainer. 利用科技去加速重建应该很简单
Systems like the ones that we were creating on the fly could exist ahead of time. 像我们在飞机上建立的那种系统能提前做好准备
And if some community member is in this organizing position in every area after every disaster, 如果有社区居民,无论在哪儿,每次灾难后都挺身而出
these tools should exist. 这些办法就会存在
So we decided to build them -- a recovery in a box, 因此我们决定去为他们--创建一个"重建箱"
something that could be deployed after every disaster by any local organizer. 它装着一套在灾难后可以被当地人利用的东西
I decided to stay in the country, 我决定留在自己的国家
give up the master's in Moscow and to work full-time to make this happen. 而不去莫斯科读硕士,然后全力为实现这一目标努力
In the course of the past year, we've become experts in the field of community-powered disaster recovery. 通过去年的经历,我们成为了社区支援灾害救助领域的专家
And there are three main problems that we've observed with the way things work currently. 我们观察到三个主要问题,它们有关目前的工作方式
The tools. Large aid organizations are exceptional at bringing massive resources to bear after a disaster, 首先是工具,大型救助组织提供了重要的灾后补给资源
but they often fulfill very specific missions and then they leave. 但是通常在完成特定任务之后就离开了
This leaves local residents to deal with the thousands of spontaneous volunteers, thousands of donations, 这使居民需要自己处理涌入的志愿者和物资
and all with no training and no tools. 他们没有经验和工具
So they use Post-its or Excel or Facebook. 所以他们才用即时贴,Excel或者Facebook
But none of these tools allow you to value high-priority information amidst all of the photos and well wishes. 但这些会影响你从图片和祝福中甄别重要信息
The timing. 第二是时间的把握
Disaster relief is essentially a backwards political campaign. 灾难救助其实是政治选举的反过程
In a political campaign, you start with no interest and no capacity to turn that into action. 在一场政治选举中,开始你没有兴趣和能力去实践
You build both gradually until a moment of peak mobilization at the time of the election. 后来兴趣和能力逐渐累积,直到在选举当天达到顶点
In a disaster, however, you start with all of the interest and none of the capacity. 在一场灾难当中,你则是从兴趣出发而不是能力
And you've only got about seven days to capture 并且你只有7天的时间去搜罗...
50 percent of all of the Web searches that will ever be made to help your area. 可以利用的那50%的网络信息,去帮助你所在的地区
Then some sporting event happens, 然后遇到一些事情需要冒险
and you've got only the resources that you've collected thus far to meet the next five years of recovery needs. 可是你只能用手头有限的资源去应对灾后5年的重建需要
This is the slide for Katrina. 屏幕上是卡特里娜飓风
This is the curve for Joplin. 这是桥普林
And this is the curve for the Dallas tornadoes in April where we deployed software. 这是四月份达拉斯的龙卷风,我们用软件进行了分析
There's a gap here. 这里有个缺口
Affected households have to wait for the insurance adjuster to visit before they can start accepting help on their properties. 受损家庭必须先等保险公司勘察之后,才能接受援助保护财产
And you've only got about four days of interest in Dallas. 而且在达拉斯,热情只持续了只有四天 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/jyp/454311.html |